• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden snorkle

I've got a '98 XJ and used the stock airbox to start with. I've done something similar and I did notice a decline in throttle response (not power). I switched from a K&N cone filter to a K&N flat filter with this mod. Mine involved ~$20 in parts from Home Depot. Check out this link if you are interested in pics of what I've done: [size=-2]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alan_orlikoski/album?.dir=/9446&.src=ph&.tok=phPATlCBwFIvE39j[/size]

I've not had any water issues and it has run fine with that area covered in snow. It does run better with no snow covering the opening but it works just fine either way.

jeep1947 said:
Yes! Cheap, easy, and fairly fast to do.
1. Yes, I can tell a difference in throttle response big TIME.

2. I have never had any problems with rain, mud, or anything else. I've been running it this way since June 04.

3. I sealed the air box (in the front) w/ a piece of alum. sheeting and JB Weld. Has held up just fine.

4. You can use a tube off a different vehicle. I used a Dodge Caravan air tube, almost 3"OD on each end that I found at the junkyard. I went to Lowe’s, and found plumbing pieces to fit the air tube. Drilled a 3" hole in the firewall and the air box, screwed the plumbing pieces down, and used some silicon to make them air tight. That was pretty much it.

I think I've pretty much covered my story. Just let us know if you have any more questions......

I haven't had any problems with it yet- I am a little worried about it icing over though....
I got my supplies for less than 20- I got two 3" 45* pieces of pvc form homedepot, and a long air intake tube from autozone, and hooked it all up. I used some sealer as well. All in all, around 15$.

Only problem- lifted the hood up some, but I fixed it by denting the inner hood with an adjustment tool, and viola.

I am using a KN filter, but other than that, I really havn't noticed much difference. I think I should probly reset my computer though- I did some exhaust work, and everything has changed, but I havent had my batery disconnected yet.

I tried this temporarily on the passenger side. At first, throttle response decreased by 19%. After the flex tube was broke-in better, throttle response improved to 40% over stock, but has since settled to about 24%. Anything over 20% is definately big time.

Ok let me see if I have this right. I can use a short piece of 3" pvc as a flange into the firewall and into the airbox. That was all I really didn't know about was how to make or get two flanges. Thanks for the help.

MaXJohnson said:
I tried this temporarily on the passenger side. At first, throttle response decreased by 19%. After the flex tube was broke-in better, throttle response improved to 40% over stock, but has since settled to about 24%. Anything over 20% is definately big time.

Just how did you come up with these #'s...

Back