• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just sold XJ, Buy another XJ, or a TJ Sport?

JOHN4WD

NAXJA Forum User
Just sold my 97 XJ last week...Don't know if I want another or to get a TJ Sport? Since more people observe this than any other on this site...wanted to ask the question here...

John4wd...

Ps. Word of warning on selling an item such as a vehicle...Don't accept a cirtified or cashiers or personal check and or a money order...They can put a stop payment on them...So until the money clears...Don't sign over title until funds clear...The cirtified check I got is from my bank...But is actually from a travalers check service in another state...I guess that's the new norm...So the guy at the bank says...Deposited last thursday won't clear until this Thursday...And the people who bought the XJ has it and I signed the title when they gave me the check...So I will not for now on will not accept those types of payments...only cash...Just a word of warning...Protect your ass nobody else will...

Curious, Why did you sell your 97??? Why would you want another one, after just selling one??? Sellers regret :dunno:

Rob

Depends what you want,

TJ advantages,

Full frame
more aftermarket support
easy to manuver
Short wheel base and advantage in some situations
Better approach, departure, and breakover with same tires and lift
more clearence for tires

XJ advantages,

Much much much more storage than a TJ
Longer wheel base better in some situations
More stable than a TJ especially on steep hill climbs
Lots of aftermarket support
Longer rear DS make for less drive shaft angle problems
It's different than every other TJ on the trail

And last but not least NAXJA

If it's just you and a co-pilot the TJ's are pretty nice and work well. The rear seat can be folded down and then there is planty of room for cargo. If you have kids or want to have others hitch along a TJ is tough on storage. Plus you are likely to get a better deal on a Cherokee.

HTH,
B-loose

Got a TJ, Think my XJ is better.
Other than a real frame to work with, XJ is an excellent trail capable Jeep.
Just think if you buy a TJ you'll save the membership fees to NAXJA.

I sold it because it didn't suit me anymore...It was a 97 2 door...I wanted a 4 door more...But that's all I could find in my price range at the time for a 97...Don't want one any older...So i bought it...I loved it...I need a jeep that I could haul 5 people...A TJ I couldn't...But since then I'm not engaged anymore don't need extra room and I just need something for 2 people...Since it's just me and my 11 year old daughter again...So I don't know if I want another XJ or a TJ...Guess I'm confused on what to get...Bloose gave me things to think about...Any other comment much appriciated...

John4wd...

Two things come to mind. First, your 11-year old daughter. I would give the advantage to the XJ in an accident. Not pleasant to think about, but it does happen. When my 17-year old son told me he wanted a Jeep, it was a tough decision to make, but in the end I thought better a Jeep than a sports car. He's had his YJ for two years now and has done well.

Just because there is just two of you right now doesn't mean it will stay the way. My wife and I bought a two seat Ford EXP about two months before she got pregnant with my oldest. A great car for the two of us and not worth a darn with a baby. What a beating I took when it was time to trade.

Tom

JOHN4WD said:
I sold it because it didn't suit me anymore...It was a 97 2 door...I wanted a 4 door more...But that's all I could find in my price range at the time for a 97...Don't want one any older...So i bought it...I loved it...I need a jeep that I could haul 5 people...A TJ I couldn't...But since then I'm not engaged anymore don't need extra room and I just need something for 2 people...Since it's just me and my 11 year old daughter again...So I don't know if I want another XJ or a TJ...Guess I'm confused on what to get...Bloose gave me things to think about...Any other comment much appriciated...

John4wd...

I had a YJ, same wheel base, etc. The only think I miss is the top down, doors off nice weather wheeling. If you do any wheeling, I think XJs do better. I agree that an XJ is probably safer. The only way I would buy another YJ/TJ is if I had something else to drive as well.

Might I throw a TJ unlimited into the mix? Have you thought about that?

You can get alot more for your money if you get an XJ, which will leave alot left over for the buildup. If you do want a TJ, try to get a 2000 or newer. I believe that gets you the NV3500 as well as some other updates. Also get one with the D44 rear axle.

Greg

Will somebody move the redhead, blonde, or brunette question to off topic...

Explain how this is modified tech?

I own both a 98 tj and a 93 cherokee. I like the cherokee much better than the tj. Off road they are pretty much the same stock, less clearance in the xj, the drivetrain is the same, except for the longer ds wich gives the xj the advantage. On road the xj has a longer wheel base and rides alot nicer. I leave the tj at home most of the time and run the cherokee most of the time. Just my opinion, some people love tj because of their classic jeep look and some love them just because they like to blend in. I like to be the odd man on the trail who can do just as much as everyone else.

I would love to get an unlimited...That would be my first choice...But being a poor single dad...Not getting child support because of a lazy good for nothing baby maker...I'm paying for everything with a $12 an hour job and a mortgage...I'm limited on the funds available each month...Sold XJ to pay off over due bills...I asked this question on modified because more people look at it...I didn't think it was that big a deal...Now that my credit cards are going to be all paid off when that check clears thursday...I got an extra 200 bucks a month to find something better than what I had...Thanks for the comments...Looks like I'm going to get another XJ...This time a 4 door and newer...Took me 8 months to find someone to buy a 97 2 door with a rebuilt title and no airbags and AC that didn't work and 134,000 on the ticker...Thanks...Happy jeeping...

John4wd...

MontanaXJ said:
Of the new ones the 99's are the best. Last year of the HP30.

Greg

stormtroopers.jpg

Why is this in the mod forum.....I thnk its time for an anything 4x forum....I think for the first timein my life Im gonna agree with Okie.....ouch that hurt to say

Back