• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i need a new tranny ?

scout

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 90 model XJ 4.0L auto, i knew it had a problem with tranny so i got it cheap, can anyone tell me if the tranny needs replacement or is something else like electronic caused problem ?

Ok here it is ... The tranny works only in LOW4, There it starts to roll like it has no power )with full revs) and when it gets some speed from there it changes gears normaly...but in L4...oh...Reverse works Perfectly...lol
Btw...The car has some minor electric problems..like the light switch in dash..

They told me that it needs a new tranny, (rare here in Greece)

Any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Paul

It sounds like the problem may be in the transfer case rather than the transmission. Can you provide more information about how the transmission acts if the transfer case is in the 2WD position?

What were the results in 2HI/4HI/4LO? There's not a lot of information to go on here.

From what I've seen, the AW4 4-speed auto is a solid box that only fails if it is seriously abused. I'm not sure if it was used in export models as well, but I'm inclined to think it was (I'd have to dig up my OEMR Parts CDs...)

I'm also inclined to agree with Eagle on it probably being a tcase issue, especially since you mention that you're going in 4WD, but not 2WD. I'd have to look at an exploded of the NP231 to get some more ideas, but more information is always helpful.

If your local wrench figures it out for you, would you please let us know what the problem was? It's only by sharing information that we keep this wonderful tech repository going...

5-90

Nothing in either 2H/4H.... the car was like has no gear in !!!
The tranny is the AW4..and mine is an US model from Toledo ohio ?
I will keep u informed on everything!

Back