• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pricing ques on a dana 44!!!

RE-xtremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for weeks now looking for a dana 44 in decent condition, or any condition for that matter. I finally found one in a junkyard, but they want $400 bucks for it!!! :flamemad: -(1987 jeep Cherokee/dana 44)-unknown miles or ratio. Should I just buy it or wait for somethin better???

Plz answer asap....im trying to buy something soon.

Thanks for any info
-Mike

$400 seems a little high for what we see around here. $300-350 is more frequent, and that's for an open carrier and 3.54s... In NY you may have a considerable amount of rust to work on as well.

depends on where you live. 'round these parts, $400 is a decent price. I gave $500 for mine, and it didn't have any brakes. Some places though, anything over $200 is too much.

Don't rule out the Ford 8.8" though, they can usually be had cheaper and easier than XJ D44's, and 8.8's come stock with disc brakes and 31-spline shafts (late model 8.8's from Explorers that is).

RE-xtremeXJ said:
I've been searching for weeks now looking for a dana 44 in decent condition, or any condition for that matter. I finally found one in a junkyard, but they want $400 bucks for it!!! :flamemad: -(1987 jeep Cherokee/dana 44)-unknown miles or ratio. Should I just buy it or wait for somethin better???

Plz answer asap....im trying to buy something soon.

Thanks for any info
-Mike

That's what they good for. I bought 1 at pnp for $135 and sold it 5 days later for $375 easily. I'd grab it up while you still can. Some people even shell out $600 for a used original geared XJ 44. If you don't mind a little more work, you could get a ford 8.8, but that is not a bad price, maybe a little high on the east coast. Check on ebay, I see a guy in the Philly area who sells them without a reserve, many times they go for around $200 or so.

Troy

I researched both the 8.8 and the dana 44 pretty extensevly, and i would much rather drop in a 44(if available)with some new gears than have to worry bout cutting and welding. Which i don't have readibly available.

I bought two at a boneyard in PA for $50 a piece.

Id say leave it and keep searching. Im sure youll find one cheaper somewhere you just gotta keep looking. I got mine for $75 with a posi in it. It didnt have break parts so i needed everything outside of the backing plate but i would have done that anyway.

I paid $500 for mine. That was installed with new brakes,bearings and gear swap.

$250 and $100 for both of mine. ask if you can do a core exchange. the yard by me knocked off $100 on the $250 axle.

Citat3962 said:
Yards by my house charge 125 an axle no matter what it is...

However I have yet to find one it those two yards :(

what do they have in the 1 ton ford variety?

I haven't been able to find any in AZ, so 400 would sound great to me, but I have seen alot of them in NY on the car-part website posted earlier.

You'll find 1, just check around and check on the car-part.com site it is very good for locating parts, but still look around at your local yards. I've been to many yards and the people working there don't have much a clue as to what they have in their yards. I found 2 XJ dana 44 axles that they didn't know they had. I picked 1 up for $300 and found 1 at the local pnp for $130. $400 isn't a bad price, I'd get it of keep looking, but don't expect to get it much lower than $400. This is a bolt in beefy stock XJ axle so it is priced according to that. If you don't mind doing some modifications then get a ford 8.8, dana 60, ford 9" etc, but this is a bolt in axle so it isn't going to be cheap. Just don't bring much attention to it at the yard when/if you find 1 and see if you can get some $ by bringing them your dana 35 or 8.25 I wish you the best. I see XJ 44's alot on ebay in the Eastern PA area, a guy has them on there all the time. I'm sure you will also see them in the metro NY/NJ areas, just clean up the rust and rebuild it.

Troy

Back