• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taillight accident

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
The 89 XJ got bumped in the passenger taillight this weekend and shattered. I've found a dealer that wants $75 for the lense only! but showed several variations and wasn't sure of anything... and it had to be ordered!

Also found a used/junk place that wants $50 for the whole assy and has one.

My assy seems OK, bulbs OK. What's the best way to replace this quickly? I'm in N GA, and would prefer to pay cash locally. Is the $50 assy a good deal? Any specialized places here that deal in these?

Thanks,
Skip

Thanks for the offer, but would prefer to get it locally, and today or tomorrow.

It's not the assy the bulbs go into, it's the red/yellow lense over it. I haven't tried to take the other one off, but the lense shattered cleanly off the grey bulb assy, so I assume it is replacable by itself. Is it glued on?

I'm gonna guess that the lens piece and the grey backing piece can probably only be bought as one assy. When changing out the bulbs I've never inspected it that closely. Probably glued together.

There's a place called 'certi-fit' that I went to in Seattle that sells them for $10ea. Not sure where you are but they have a location in Atlanta. [I had to replace my driverside one when I got it from my brother as someone hit him in a parking lot and cracked it.]

http://www.certifit.com/New/index_locations.htm

Other option is check a U-Pull-It type auto wreckers. They're cheap there as well, at least the ones I've got too. I find $50 way too expensive for a used one, unless the guy is trying to sell the light housings as well. [I believe the wreckers here would cost me under $20cdn.]

It's basically a plastic case the bulbs 'scew' into. It's one piece that's glued together, so not possible to just get a lense to be replaced so I wouldn't really call it an assembly. Normally I've seen it just called a tail light. It just bolts into the body. Easy to take off/put in.

I agree that $50 is too high. I got one from my local boneyard for $25 in Nashville.

When you get you hands on one, it is just 4 bolt and the whole swap is a 5 minute procedure.

Ive broken the passengers side more times than I can count. IM surprised I ahve one in stock! By the way if you would have bought mine yesterday you would have it tomorrow. via fedex. So have you fond one yet?

Thanks everyone! Yes, got it installed this morning. Pullapart place had some XJs, but I had to show up and see if they had what I needed and would be $15 (long drive there though). Certifit had a new one for $20. New one in hand is worth two possibly in the bushes... or something like that, so got it there. ;)

I put it in this morning. Will probably hit the pullapart sometime this week to see if it's a real toyland ;)

Thanks again!

Skip

skipc said:
Thanks everyone! Yes, got it installed this morning. Pullapart place had some XJs, but I had to show up and see if they had what I needed and would be $15 (long drive there though). Certifit had a new one for $20. New one in hand is worth two possibly in the bushes... or something like that, so got it there. ;)

I put it in this morning. Will probably hit the pullapart sometime this week to see if it's a real toyland ;)

Thanks again!

Skip

Glad to hear it went well! And yes, would plan a nice Saturday at the pull-apart. Take your time and you'll find all kinds of goodies. I'd take stock into what you would like to get either as upgrades, mods or spare parts, which is always what I do. My main mods lately have been the fog switches/relays, and overhead console. Just don't know what you'll find. I upgraded to power windows, everything costing me just $75. A HELL of a lot better than the manual, and couldn't find a manual on the drivers side that was screwed like mine was cable wise. The price difference between manual and power mirrors were like $5.
Wish you luck there, and have fun!!

Back