• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Heavy duty trackbar and bracket for only 2-3" of lift?

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
I know you guys might think im crazy, but I only have about 2-3" of lift and I would like to run the RE HD trackbar and bracket. Ive tried searching for HOURS for someone that has done this, but I have found nothing. My main reason for this is that I like the way the HD setup is, where the droop of the trackbar is pretty much limitless, whereas on the RE1600 or JKS style bars, you have some sort of joint that is sideways and only flexes at the top(frame) joint the amount the joint will flex(or you have some sort of crappy TRE deal goin on). Anyone that knows how these two styles differ will know what im talking about. My dillemma is that ive been told the RE HD setup will only work for a minimum of ~4 inches of lift. Could I just have the bar slightly cut down,and re-tapped for the end to thread in? Does the HD come with a longer "bar" part than the non-hd so I could just pair the 1600 bar with the HD end and bracket? Has anyone ever heard of this, or think it is feasible?

I think it may work. At 6" of lift, there's alot of thread sticking out of the bar.
If Jeepin Jason doesn't chime in here, PM him. He's a dealer and has installed plenty of these.

We've actually never done the RE HD trackbar setup on anything shorter than their 3.5" kit. It seemed to fit fine though, even though RE doesn't recommend using it with anything under than 4.5" kit.

In all honesty, I wouldn't go with the HD setup for under 3" of lift. With that little lift, I really don't see you really using/needing its benefit (no binding on the frame mount). The reason I say that is because with only 2-3" of lift, you can't really run shocks long enough to run into problems bottoming out the trackbar in the first place.

Plus, there's a good chance that with that little lift, you'll run into clearance issues with the Hd frame bracket and trackbar itself during suspension compression.

I'm not a fan of the 1600 trackbar either, because we've never had much luck with the heims lasting a long time for us. It's also a completely different trackbar than the 1660 HD one.

If it was me and one of our rigs or one of our customers' rigs in the same position, I'd put on the JKS trackbar.

Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. How about this though, what if I ever want to step up to 4-5" (which I do someday) will the JKS bar work for that or should I just wait and buy the whole RE 4.5" kit and be done with it?

Jeepin Jason said:
Plus, there's a good chance that with that little lift, you'll run into clearance issues with the Hd frame bracket and trackbar itself during suspension compression.
Great point. I didn't even think of that.

Atl-Atl said:
Thanks, thats what I needed to hear. How about this though, what if I ever want to step up to 4-5" (which I do someday) will the JKS bar work for that or should I just wait and buy the whole RE 4.5" kit and be done with it?

Buy the whole 4.5" kit and upgrade to the HD trackbar then, and be done with it. Most any trackbar sized for 2-3" of lift, even adjustable ones, probably won't fit properly with a 4.5" lift, especially RE's lift which tend to run tall (unless you're running a lot of heavy aftermarket gear).

FWIW, the JKS trackbar "height" break is btwn 3-4" of lift. One trackbar is for 3" and less, the other is for 4" and above.

BillR said:
Great point. I didn't even think of that.

Yep. At full compression mine gets somewhat close to the diff, and I'm running 5" of bumpstop up front. I was actually worried at first that it would hit the ARB fitting, but there's ample clearance there.

DSC02771.jpg

Take away that 5" of extra bumpstop and push the tire all the way up, and that trackbar is going to get intimate with the diff cover I think.

I ran it on 3.5" of lift and it hit my diff right where the picture above shows it all the time. I didn't have extended bumpstops at the time. I sold it so I don't know if it would still hit with my extended bumpstops now.

Well, running a JKS style bar doesnt necessarily keep the trackbar and diff from interfering. I am running about 3", with RE SF lowers and uppers, and a JKS trackbar, and I scrape the front diff cover a little on compression. I could probably stop it with longer bumpstops (my bumpstop is the top of the tire on the inner fender), but would sacrifice a good bit of wheel travel in doing so. Even so, I like the bar and have had it for a couple years now without any other problems. I suspect most aftermarket bars will have problems with a short lift and longer than stock arms.

Travis

Atl-Atl said:
Does the HD come with a longer "bar" part than the non-hd so I could just pair the 1600 bar with the HD end and bracket? Has anyone ever heard of this, or think it is feasible?
the HD and Non-HD both use the same bar, the HD version is taped for 1" threads and the Non-HD version has a sleve that reduces the 1" threads to the 3/4" threads that the rod end uses...

XJ_ranger said:
the HD and Non-HD both use the same bar, the HD version is taped for 1" threads and the Non-HD version has a sleve that reduces the 1" threads to the 3/4" threads that the rod end uses...

They may use the same TUBING, but the main body of the trackbar is not the same at all -- no part of the two trackbars is interchangeable, other than the poly bushing on the axle end.

Jeepin Jason said:
They may use the same TUBING, but the main body of the trackbar is not the same at all -- no part of the two trackbars is interchangeable, other than the poly bushing on the axle end.

x2

Not to highjack here, but while we're on the subject. When's a good time to install a drop bracket (RE that is)? I've got the RE1660, and about 4.25" of lift. I've been playing with the idea of buying the drop bracket and maybe a drop pitman arm to keep the two parallel to each other. I've always been confused on when to install a drop bracket and a drop pitman arm, or how to tell when it's time to install them? Any suggestions?

bshaw said:
Not to highjack here, but while we're on the subject. When's a good time to install a drop bracket (RE that is)? I've got the RE1660, and about 4.25" of lift. I've been playing with the idea of buying the drop bracket and maybe a drop pitman arm to keep the two parallel to each other. I've always been confused on when to install a drop bracket and a drop pitman arm, or how to tell when it's time to install them? Any suggestions?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=395562#post395562

Back