• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal hook tow straps VS. Loops

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Why are people so against using tow straps with metal hooks on the ends? What the disadvantages? Where can you purchase the looped ended tow straps cause I can't find them anyplace, except in magazine for a bizillion dollars.

What's the difference?

JaysXJ said:
Why are people so against using tow straps with metal hooks on the ends? What the disadvantages? Where can you purchase the looped ended tow straps cause I can't find them anyplace, except in magazine for a bizillion dollars.

What's the difference?

when you yank and pull the hook can slip or something might break launching it as a missile causing harm and injury.

A looped strappede probably will run about $20 to $30. Checkout 4wheelparts.com

Think of that metal hook as a one pound bullet going towards your head if the strap breaks or breaks loose. You can get the recovery straps with the loops pretty much anywhere you can get the ones with hooks. Just make sure youre getting a good strap and not a cheapo walmart strap or something like that. check out youre jeep catalogs, I think quadratec has them, also anyplace that sells towing supplies like AW Direct would have them.

Dean

Wow, Thanks guys. Never thought about the bullet projectile thing. I purchased a metal hook tow strap from Walmart not to long ago. I believe I'll return it and get a Looped ended one.

JaysXJ said:
Wow, Thanks guys. Never thought about the bullet projectile thing. I purchased a metal hook tow strap from Walmart not to long ago. I believe I'll return it and get a Looped ended one.

Check your local Pep Boys. I got mine there (20', 20,000lb. breaking strength) for around $25 or so.

There is a difference between a "tow strap" and an extraction (or "snatch") strap. The ones with metal hooks on the ends are intended for towing, and the strap or rope does not have much (if any) stretch to it). These are also usually rated for half or less the capacity of even a 2" snatch strap.

Snatch straps are intended to stretch, in order to store up energy which then helps to extract a stuck vehicle from snow, mud or whatever. Completely aside from the safety issues of flying hooks, the "tow" ropes and straps simply are not as strong, and should not be used for extraction because it takes a lot more force to pull a vehicle out of deep muck than it does to roll it on pavement.

And the final, compelling argument: straps with metal hooks are not allowed at any NAXJA events, or by any other club that I'm aware of. Why waste money on something that nobody will let you use?

you can buy loop-ended straps at walmart and autozone if you dont want to buy them online. They should be fine for extracting a stuck XJ.

Please also make sure your XJ has the proper tow/recovery points to hook your strap to before you take it out and get stuck.

While the tow hook-style straps are certainly more dangerous, don't fool yourself into thinking a snap strap is harmless. That's a BIG rubber band that has a LOT of stored energy in it! If a real rubber band from a newspaper stings when someone snaps it on your skin, think of how easy it'd be to get taken out by a snap strap. Just a reminder....

Look around for deals. A while back I picked up two 30ft 30,000 rated Procomp recovery straps with loops in the end. Got them for $20 each from 4wheelparts I think it was.

I bought a 20' strap with loops from Walmart for about 20 bucks, and I've used it alot. It's the "cargoloc" brand, probably right next to the ones with hooks on the shelf.

We had a man killed in Ky last year by a metal hook. He was in the recovery vehicle and it went through the rear glass and hit his head.
Our club recommends loop straps only.

After seeing a teenager who got on the wrong end of a hook and survived (I think he was in recently, still had a good sized scar on the side of his head), the hooked style is all I'll consider buying when the time comes to get one.

After seeing a teenager who got on the wrong end of a hook and survived (I think he was in recently, still had a good sized scar on the side of his head), the hooped style is all I'll consider buying when the time comes to get one.

I have never seen anyone use hooked style straps before so I thought all the talk about no hooks was regarding the tow points on the rigs. I was always confused when I saw the regs say no hooks and the pics of the event most of the rigs had tow hooks up front.

I got a pretty good looped recovery strap from Tractor Supply. At the end of my Chevy 3/4 ton pickup It recently extracted a pretty hefty conversion van from a ditch, even though it required four running-start jerks because both vehicles were on ice.

Back