• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axles

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
i know this has been over before, but i still would like to know.
i have a 98 with a 8.25 rear and i would like to know if i should replace it or build it up, also what lockers are for it?

well if you dont go any bigger than 33's keep the 8.25

i just put a PowerTrax noslip in mine
(its prolly your best bet)

Hell for the average fourwheeler you'ld be good with 35s and an 8.25 (29 spline).

Since you have the 29 spline you can get most lockers (not nearly as many options as the 44 though) for it. Detroit (not the electrac), ARB, Powertrax, others.

You can't go by jeep catalogues though because 99% of them don't consider the 8.25 a jeep axle for some reason. If they list lockers for the 8.25 at all, its usually under Chrystler not Jeep!

If your worried about it, wheel it till it brake and buy Yukon shafts. Thats what I plan to do. They are massive.

Kind of depends on what tire size you want to run and what kind of wheeling you plan to do. The 29 spline version is OK for up to 35's if you get alloy axles and carry the stock ones for spares, and you have a light foot. The stock shafts should work fine for up to 33's. I know people who wheel hard trails with 35's, and have alloy shafts, but you can always break something, and it's c-clip, so carry the spares.

what other DC trucks use the 8.25?

The hesitation I would have with the 8.25 is the tendency for gear noise with 4.56 gears. You also have the issue of the stock drum brakes, which are crappy.

I built an 8.25 with 29 spline alloy shafts, 4.56 gears, Auburn, and a disc brake conversion, and I ended up selling it. I would have kept it for 35's from a strength perspective, but even after a full diff rebuild it was so noisy that it made my ears ring. Some noise is fine, hearing damage is not. Everything included, I put over $2K into that axle. You could have a custom built D44 shipped to your door for $2K, and you could get a high pinion axle custom made and shipped to your door for $2,700 (Currie HP 9").

I now run a Currie high pinion 9" and absolutely love it. It is quiet, smooth, and the extra pinion clearance is nice for rock crawling - I used to drag my 8.25 all the time. Perfect axle for 35" tires.

The thing about stock axles is that over time the only thing you keep is the housing. You will upgrade the axles, brakes, differential, and gears. A custom made, brand new housing can run as low as $300. Check Currie's website. The cost of everything else is the same, or in the case of 9" parts, may even be less expensive.

The only reason to build a stock 8.25 is that you can do it step by step vs. a one time expenditure, but from my experience, I wouldn't. Keep that 8.25 totally stock, buy a custom housing, and build up the custom axle piece by piece as budget allows, and then do the swap and sell the 8.25. The 8.25 shafts are worth $75/ea as spares to other XJ'ers.

Nay

2offroad said:
what other DC trucks use the 8.25?

Dodge Dakotas have used them since '87. I don't know if any other vehicles have use them. The newer v8 dakotas used the 9.25.

Nay - I don't know much about gears, but were they a cheap brand? Any pthers have gear whine problems with the 8.25?

i want one of the eletric lockers but i don't think anybody makes them for the 8.25.

Back