• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Country Edition

Ynglnggod

NAXJA Forum User
I finally bought my first Jeep, after 12 years of pick ups, I found one at a good price in real good shape. Problem, I don't know a dang thing about them. I mean I know all about 4WD, and trannies and engines and transfers and mechanical stuff, but I have no idea what I have here to start with. It's got an automatic, 4.0 HO inline 6, and other than that I ain't got a clue, can anybody help me with this as far as what diff's it has, axles, gearing, anything like that? Thanks for the help.

Vince

I'd start by taking the VIN to your local dealership, and have them print out what it has. That's what I had done with mine. It's a good place to start with, and then take it from there.......

As for the diffs, if you use the search, there's a couple threads that have been done in recent weeks about how to tell what diffs are which.

OK, I'll check with a dealer in our area, I have to take it back to the place where I bought it anyway, the transfer case started making noise last night when I put it in 4WD fo the first time and it doesn't want to go into part time 4H at all.

I'll make some educated guesses. A 93 Country Edition should be a 4.0L engine, AW4 automatic tranny, and Selec-Trac transfer case with the full-time as well as part-time 4WD position. That transfer case is a New Process NP242.

Front axle is a Dana 30, high pinion, reverse cut. No hub or axle disconnects. Outer u-joints are 5-260.

Rear axle could be either a Dana 35 c-clip or a Chrysler 8-1/4". If you have ABS it is almost certainly a Chrysler 8-1/4. In a 93, it is 99.99% certainly NOT a Dana 44.

Eagle,
No ABS here, affirmitive on the 4.0, and NP242 transfer and AW4 tranny, thanks for the axle specs. On another note, I have a receiver mounted on the back of my jeep, it came with it, but no hitch, is this factory or aftermarket?

Back