• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake booster upgrade

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally got it in, Just installed a double diaphram brake booster in my 87 xj. I read a write up on madxj & since then have been keeping my eyes open for one. I was in the wrecking yard and I seen a 98 grand cherokee sitting there. I started inspecting it and it looked like it would be a good candidate for a swap. Gave $100.00 for the booster.It was a direct swap! all I had to do was order some adapters (eddelman Metric to standard) and some new brake lines,I used the new adapters,brakelines and old fittings off of the proportioning valve to make the new lines(the 3/16 & 5/16 fittings are hard to find) I even used the stock brake light switch,it took a little effort to make it work but I am very happy w/ the results. This is probably one of the best mods I have done so far, the difference in the braking is very evident. there is more braking power w/less effort.

Jeep839.

I beleive xjoe is refering to MadXJ.com, on that site there is a tech area that has all kinds of write ups, the booster upgrade is on there as well. It is a fairly easy upgrade to do if you have some mechanical ability.

Yeah it's on mad xj, the info on there is a little confusing-there is like two write ups in there.There is one on a pedal rod swap,which is not necessary if you use the 1/4 spacer that comes w/the booster.Other than that everthing else worked for me. It seems to me that there are a couple of different kinds of master cylinders,both are plastic, one is kind of flat and has two caps, the other is rounder and has one cap(this is the one I used)if you need more info let me know.

Back