• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What should I do?

NitroDuck

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to decide what should be the next step for my jeep (89, I-6) currently im running a rough country 3 inch with like 29's (had 31's but those worn out and these were free) So of course first on my list is new tires, but my lift is sagging, the short add a leaf and block have finished off my already worn out rear leafs. So my first thought was to get a RE 4.5inch lift and 33's but once I got digging into it I realized what all I will have to get along with the lift, re-gearing, possible sye/cv, which with tires, lift, gears, sye will be coming into the 2-2500 range. On a 17 year olds salery it will be summer before i can make up the differnce in what I have saved up and that. So I started thinking lockers, new tires, front winch bumper. But that still leaves my saging suspension and rough ride.

So I would like to have a 3rd partys view and ideas on this.

Thanks

Just replace the rear springs with new packs, and get the other things you mentioned. If you don't want to go the RE road. 31's will go fine most of the time. I ran them for three years. Before I went up to 4.5, but I love the 4.5.

yup this stuff is expensive -
read here to fix your rear end cheap
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf

33's will cost you 1000 for good tires and a full size spare - figure 250 for AR crawler rims to mount the 12.5" wide tires on

that leaves 750 left in your estimate for
SYE/Driveshaft and gears - good luck....

go junkyard parts - pull a 96+ 8.25 with 4.11 gears and throw that in for a beefed up rear end and gear change
offer the parts yard your front end witht he more common 3.55 gears for their front end with 4.11 gears and pay the 50-100 that they want to charge you (could probably trade the rear end too)
www.car-part.com will give you a local yard with the parts that you need...

the front winch bumper really isnt needed till you get a winch to put in it (figure 500-1000 for a winch) - my stock bumper and tow hooks get me where i need to go...

do you have recovery points?
do you have and skids? - try to pull the gas tank skid, t-case skid, and front skid and tow hooks from anther cherokee while your at the yard - might give you a package deal...

basicaly - start with the stuff that will work with your rig no matter what - the armor, the tow points, the huskyliner floor mats (my personal favorite mod), the hi-lift, and all that...

oh - and dont be afraid to hack away to fit tires... you dont always have to lift...

Back