• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hollow Revving Tranny Noise

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I know my description is not good but after playin around with my shifter and checking my tcase fluid today i drove the xj locally to get something and the first upshift is ok, but the second shift is a bit late and it makes a very strange noise. With the window down its like the engine is reving and the tranny vibrates a bit as it upshifts. If i take its very slow it has no issues but at normal speeds its still makes that hollow vibration sorta thing. I think me playin around with the shifter is a quincidence. Is their anything i should check for ?? I just replaced my tps 3 weeks ago for a diff problem with late shifts.- what can i check for.

thanks as always
pete

Also the day before i was playin around with my NSS trying to get the jeep to satrt in park and nuetral but for some odd reason it will only start in park...but anyway thats a diff story.
But maybe it has a connection if it isnt properly aliggned ?

pete

Re: Hollow Revving Tranny Noise with pics

Well i went under the jeep today to have a look and i found this surprise. I havnt done any off roading and i am not sure how this could have happened. My crossmember is bent in the center not bad but maybe bad enough to cause a small angle diffrence.Take a look and let me know, if i need to get a replacement one in.

Picture 0040.jpg

Picture 0070.jpg

Picture 0030.jpg

Tho i would like to know what can be causint this. i dont think i have the crossmember in incorrectly ?

pete

Well it must have hit something pretty hard. A blow like that could have knocked something out of alignment, however I would think that it would do it in all gears. Any vibrations?

Well today i made sure the angle caused by the crossmember didnt change anything overall on the top of the crossmember and apparently other than the bottom its untouched on top. Additionally i made sure all tranny connections were secure. I also checked the tranny fluid level which appeared fine with a clear pink color. I additionally checked the driveshafts for any disformaties with none found.

I had my mother drive the jeep and she said other than it making a loud whining noise while shifting it shifts fine. Reason being as it was hers originally.

Maybe this weekend i can get the tps exchanged and drain all fluids and grease everythig.

any suggestion tho..

pete

Back