• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh oh, another newbie! :-) Several q's...

Steve-o94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all...

I've been lurking around several Jeep websites, but just recently registered here.

I've had a '94 XJ for a couple years now, and it's my daily driver. I'm new to wrenching on Jeeps, though not to cars in general (recently completed a swap of the heads/cam/intake/timing set and other assorted goodies on my '94 Trans Am in my garage).

Anyway, I have several questions, and I was wondering if you folks could help me out.

1) Is there a website where I could find a factory service manual for my XJ?

2) How can I verify the differentials that I have? I have a 4.0L, auto trans., NP 231. I believe the trans. is an AW4?

3) My current 231 is in bad shape (makes lots of noise that corresponds with my speed, leaks, and shudders when I'm in 4WD and the pavement is slick). Rather than overhaul the current t-case, I recently bought a used 231 (got a good deal on it). I've been thinking of installing an SYE and a CV ds when I install the "newer" t-case, then putting a lift on it later this summer.
Any good tech articles about doing a t-case swap?

4) I've heard good things about RE lifts. Are there any good tutorials out there for installing an RE lift for an XJ? I've seen some for TJs/YJs, but I'm wondering if there are tutorials that address the specifics of XJ lifts...I believe there some differences?

5) My XJ is 100 miles short of 100K. Any things I should start looking at as far as maintenance/wear and tear is concerned? I replaced the fluid in both diffs. soon after I bought it (@ approx. 85K). Oil has been changed every 3K since I bought it. I also recently replaced the O2 sensor, plugs, cap and rotor.

On a side note, I'm really happy with this thing as a daily driver. It starts up every time, even during sub-zero winter mornings here in Chicago. My roommate's '02 WRX won't even do that...LOL...

TIA for the help.

Cheers,
Steve-o

------------------
Black '94 XJ...the dependable daily driver
and stock...for now
Black '94 T/A...not stock

Welcome to NAXJA!

1 - www.techauthority.com or eBay
2 - The auto trans is an AW-4. The front diff is a high-pinion D30 and the rear is a D35 (if ABS) or a Chrysler 8.25" Pics are at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle
3 - There are a few around here; the FSM has teh procedure, bu I don't haveany saved sites or a writeup of my own (yet)
4 - Which RE lift? I've got wrieups at www.yuccaman.com, RE has instructions at www.rubiconusa.com, and many of the other members and users here have their own experiences as well.
5 - Give yourself a baseline for maintenance but look at the factory recommended intervals at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/xj-a.html and http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/xj-b.html

Thanks for the welcome and the links, Jim. :)

I'm thinking a 3.5" RE lift, or maybe even a 4.5." Not sure at this point.
I guess it's a balance b/w looks and daily drivability. :D

I'm guessing the hardware on my XJ will be a PITA to remove when I start replacing susp. parts.

I'm assuming a trip to the local Sears or Ace Hardware would suffice for replacement of certain nuts/bolts, etc.?

Soak hardware down with penetrating oil (PB Blaster) daily for a week before you try to break anything loose. I would buy any replacemant hardware from the Jeep dealership to insure correct size and grade.

Back