• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with an idea for 2" BB with AAL

490Chaser

NAXJA Forum User
Well, here's the deal... I want to get a baby lift together with the AAL, but my rear springs are sagged... pretty bad. About an inch of sag.

So I was thinking that if I installed a 3inch AAL in the rear that it would compensate and after the leaf settled that it would be at the same height as the front. I also would like to put my recovery/tool/emergency box in the rear full time again (about 100 pounds) and I figure with a 3 " aal after the leaf settles after a few months with the box in the back, it would be about right.

what do you guys and gals think?

490Chaser said:
Well, here's the deal... I want to get a baby lift together with the AAL, but my rear springs are sagged... pretty bad. About an inch of sag.

So I was thinking that if I installed a 3inch AAL in the rear that it would compensate and after the leaf settled that it would be at the same height as the front. I also would like to put my recovery/tool/emergency box in the rear full time again (about 100 pounds) and I figure with a 3 " aal after the leaf settles after a few months with the box in the back, it would be about right.

adding and mixing leafs and packs is a grab bag as far as real height - get a full length AAL... and go from there
read here for more super flexy leaf suspention tuning stuff:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf

490Chaser said:

thats a good budget boost.. look at the RE kit and take note of the parts they include in their 3.5" AAL kit.. and collect those parts on your own.. i ran that lift on my 99 for 1.5 yrs and it sat at 3" in the rear after it settled from the initial 4.5"... it rode better with a heavy load.. its a good "stepping stone" into the world of lifts.. not one you will be happy with for an extended time though...

Hey, what about the Terra Flex 'baby kit' that has front spacers and extended rear shackles ? Just asking because I know someone wanting to do this sort of thing and it may help others too. Not to hijack thread.

Last edited:
I guess what I really want to know is if I get a 3" full length AAL... can I expect it to combat sag, 100 extra pounds, and time to settle to an even 1.5-2 inches of lift?
I don't want a 3" lift, BTW

For the AAL I'm probably gonna buy a pair of Rusty's 3" AAL from the website and get a spacer from someone.

yikes said:
Hey, what about the Terra Flex 'baby kit' that has front spacers and extended rear shackles ? Just asking because I know someone wanting to do this sort of thing and it may help others too. Not to hijack thread.
Bad idrea, especially for the original poster, whose stock springs have already sagged. An extended shackle does nothing to strengthen the springs. All is does is allow them to move through a wider range, which makes them sag even more.

Short of new springs (whcih can be an installation nightmare in a rusty, older XJ), the AAL is by far the best way to go.

490Chaser said:
I guess what I really want to know is if I get a 3" full length AAL... can I expect it to combat sag, 100 extra pounds, and time to settle to an even 1.5-2 inches of lift?
I don't want a 3" lift, BTW

For the AAL I'm probably gonna buy a pair of Rusty's 3" AAL from the website and get a spacer from someone.
Personal opinion only -- I think trying to get 3" or more out of a single AAL is pushing it. The AAL has to have a LOT more arch than the other leaves in the pack, so it's actually working against them. That's why most AALs seem to sag rather quickly.

Look at it this way. Rancho sells a full-length AAL with slightly more arch than a stock spring pack out of the vehicle. They rate it for 2" to 2-1/2" in an XJ. Doing a "home-brew" AAL using stock XJ main leaves with the eyes cut off gets you a true full-length AAL. The arch of the AAL is matched to the other leaves in the pack. This usually provides 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" of lift. It also adds load carrying capacity (as does any AAL).

I think for what you have in mind I would either go with a commercial 2" AAL and see how well it works, or get a spare set of used XJ springs, do the home-brew AAL install, but use the main and second leaves out of the donor pack rather than just the main leaves. (In other words, you'll be adding two leaves on each side rather than one). That should put you right abut where you want to be and I don't think you'll have much problem with sagging.

I don't know your budget or year of XJ, but I did something similar... My '99 XJ was sitting about 1" lower than the front (17" from center of hub to factory fender flare in front, just under 16" in the rear using 225/75/R15 tires)

RE 1410 full length AAL raised the rear to 20". This is the AAL they use in their 3 1/2" lift even tho their web site says 2 1/2". Go figure. I carry about 50#'s of tools in the back and I haven't lost any lift yet (3 weeks), but I have longer shackles just in case.

My '99 needed 2 1/2* shims and a 1" transfer case drop to run smoothly, so be prepared.

Highmiles said:
I don't know your budget or year of XJ, but I did something similar... My '99 XJ was sitting about 1" lower than the front (17" from center of hub to factory fender flare in front, just under 16" in the rear using 225/75/R15 tires)

RE 1410 full length AAL raised the rear to 20". This is the AAL they use in their 3 1/2" lift even tho their web site says 2 1/2". Go figure. I carry about 50#'s of tools in the back and I haven't lost any lift yet (3 weeks), but I have longer shackles just in case.
Since you started out an inch low (16", and the stock dimension should be 17") and ended up 3" high, you're saying that you grossed 4 inches of lift out of a 2-1/2" AAL.

Not bad.

Eagle said:
Since you started out an inch low (16", and the stock dimension should be 17") and ended up 3" high, you're saying that you grossed 4 inches of lift out of a 2-1/2" AAL.

Not bad.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing along any bad information, so I dug up my old measurements. All I have done is add RE AAL's to my spring pack, placing the full length AAL under the main spring and not disgarding any.

Running on stock 225/75/R15's, original height measured from the ground to the stock fender flare was 28 3/4". New height is 33 3/4", so really a gain of about 5".

I fully expect this to settle some - I doubt that one new leaf can support that amount of lift for the long haul, but I was only looking for 2 - 3" anyway.

I bought the AAL from RE as an after thought after already buying the RRO budget boost (shackles / block and spacer). I haven't used any of the rear end RRO stuff yet because I got all (and more) of the height I needed from the RE 1410's.

Keep your eye on it, I have the same year with the same problem and it sounds like we have the same goals... wierd. I'm from Hampstead/Derry NH too. What would be freaky if you have a dark green sport.

Eagle said:
Bad idrea, especially for the original poster, whose stock springs have already sagged. An extended shackle does nothing to strengthen the springs. All is does is allow them to move through a wider range, which makes them sag even more.

Actually what I wanted to know if this kit (Terra spacers and shackles) is any good-looking to run 30 /9.50 's and flex without rubbing.Any thoughts ?

490Chaser said:
Keep your eye on it, I have the same year with the same problem and it sounds like we have the same goals... wierd. I'm from Hampstead/Derry NH too. What would be freaky if you have a dark green sport.

OK - This is a bit wierd... I have a 1999, dark green 4 door Sport. I live in Rye. It must of been a popular color choice that year.

I really only wanted 2" of boost to get a little more aggressive stance and to run 30" AT tires safely. Not doing any extreme off roading, didn't want to get into the extra height that also brings the added expense of SYE's, etc.

I'm running with the 2 1/2* shims and T-case drop to help eliminate vibes and I wouldn't mind if the back settles a bit and reduces the drive shaft angle even more.

BTW - I called RE regarding the 1410 spring lift height and the guy was surprised that the web listed the lift at only 2 1/2 inches. It turns out that this is the same spring they use in their 3 1/2 lift kit that seems to give most people closer to 5" when all is said and done.

I'll be the last person to bitch about too much lift, but I kinda wish I had know before tearing into the project. I would've been prepared.

Back