• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Width Axles

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on the full width axles for my XJ and I was looking as to how far it would cause the tires to stick out running a 15x8 rim with 3.75 BS and 35x12.50 tire... I have planned a F9inch that I picked up sitting in my garage and a D44.. I live in Va. and they have a BS law that your tires can only strick out so far.. I was also looking at some BWs off the TJs, Im thinking they stick out farther than the BW for the XJ.. The current setup on the XJ is the 8.25, 35x12.50 on 15x8 3.75 BS and I run the XJ BW and its dead even.. Also Im thinking of changing the registration to Indiana for another way around VA. laws.. Any insight and pics is appriciated

Last edited:
XTrmXJ said:
15x8 3.75 BS

new wheels are needed for the 5 on 5.5 bolts - so your backspacing will obivously be different... (unless you want the same)

how far will they stick out? well - stock d35 is about 60" wms to wms, and the d44 ford 9 that i have measured somewhere near 66-68" wms to wms - so about 3-4 inches on EACH side...

I already knew I needed new rims to begin with because of the bolt pattern, I only put my current rim specs on there to help me try and size thing up for the new axle so I could see what rim BS I was wanting.. What Im mainly asking about is with running Full Width is there a way to keep things LEGAL for inspection puposes with a combo (since currently im in VA.)

Last edited:
Get 4-5" or so of back spacing and get some TJ Sahara flares which are wider than regular TJ flares. You should be fine. Check out Dirtclod's white XJ on hp44/9" full width axles in the Rig of the Month, I think he was in 12/04 or 11/04.

Get bushwacker cut outs...an xj with full widths are the only ones they look half way decent on. I wish I had a better pic , but this one is with 3.5" BS beedlocks, with 4.25"bs wheels the edge of the tire was just inside the flair.

InternetExplorerWallpaper.bmp

I already have the XJ BW and Im setting dead even with them with my current setup.. Are the TJ BW flares wider than the XJ?

the only thing you can do to even bring it close it to get like 16.5 or 17 inch rims with less back spacing to bring them in .you need the bigger rim to clear the steering nuckles.

This is right after I got the 9" in....the front was only at 62" in this picture.

IMG_4112.jpg

And this is how far mine stick out now at 66" axle width....3.75" backspacing....35x13.50 tires (so, they are slightly wider). It should give you an idea of where you'll be with bushwackers.

IMG_5553.jpg

I think that your tires will end up sticking out beyond the flares....maybe 1"-1.5" in the back and up to 2" in the front. I can take some measurements of my setup if you think it will help at all.

IMO, you'll need more backspacing to keep things legit.

Brian

Back