• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling the 350 in the XJ - questions.

NitroRC Ed

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what people have used for radiators in the 350 conversion on their XJ's. How about fan's - pusher or puller? Found a couple of radiators on eBay that looked like they might work. One of them is about 31" x 17" and has a built in tranny cooler which would save me a little work but kind of spendy.

eBay radiator link

Second radiator possibility

Any pictures would be great as well since I have to figure out a new mounting setup while I am at it.

Now if I am completly screwed up in the direction I am looking then let me know :dunce:

Thanks for any help,
Ed

I used a BeCool in an XJ that we put a 6.0 vortec motor in. It had a built in shroud, and two Spal puller fans, I think 12 inchers. That motor stays at 210* in AZ summers. We haven't hooked up the AC yet, but I don't think it would matter. The engine is an LQ9 out of a Cadillac Escalade EXT, high out put version of the 6.0. The jeep halls a$$!

Dan Turner said:
I used a BeCool in an XJ that we put a 6.0 vortec motor in. It had a built in shroud, and two Spal puller fans, I think 12 inchers. That motor stays at 210* in AZ summers. We haven't hooked up the AC yet, but I don't think it would matter. The engine is an LQ9 out of a Cadillac Escalade EXT, high out put version of the 6.0. The jeep halls a$$!

:party: DDDDAAAMMMMMNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Pics???

Cant find any good pics of teh engine bay, just close ups of the engine mounts and stuff. It was a very very tight fit, with some creative trimming of teh frame rails.

some pics of the motor mounts would be interesting, im currently putting in a magnum 318 from a rolled grand cherokee myself. As was also wondering what some of the other guys with v8 swaps had done with the radiator. Some of the ones i have seen with 302s had stock radiators and had no probs. But a 350 might need more.

i use an afco aluminum radiator, electric fan and a highflow water pump, it works relatively well, but it might be a good idea to use an oil cooler and tranny cooler too, damn hard to keep them cool. also 31x17 might be pretty damn big, be careful about the width of the radiator i have about .5" of clearance between my water pump and fan. haha take some good ass measurements. and some strong axles you'll go through them quick

Last edited:
im about to be putting a 350 in my 84. so far i have a stock chevy radiator but will prob upgrade later. tranny/oil cooler also. as far as fans i dont know how much room you are going to have. good luck keep posting some info guys!!

Forget that Ebay price...I had www.rodneyred.com quote me a price on an al rad for my truck...200 and change. Stock size, Al, 3 core.

I ended up getting a core from a custom radiator shop with bent fins. They couldn't use it because it looked like shit so they gave it to me for free. I welded the end tanks on at my local welding store...they let me do it without hassle of buying a machine. Bought the radiator neck from summit...BeCool sells them.

So, I ended up building an al rad for 30 bucks. This was before BeCool started making the aluminum rads for XJ's.

have fun i did mine last year and just finished putting a new one in to replace the crappy one that was in there.... its a lot of work. PM if you have any questions about the swap ill try and get some pics and post them so you can see my setup.

Back