• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped and Pissed off

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to get my 89 XJ 4.0 to start, It will run if I take jumper cables from the positive side of the battery and clamp it to the two fuel pump wires on the drivers fender at the ballast resistor (Just bypassing resistor dosent work). The second relay from the front of the 4 behind the battery is buzzing and annoying. The second problem I am having is there is a 10a resettable circut breaker where the fuse is suppose to be for the park lights and when I turn on the park lights they flash like hazards as the breaker trips on and off, any ideas where there may be a short?
Any help would reduce my blood pressure and be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

ok first off if it only starts when you take power from the battery to the fuel pump wire then I would think that you are not getting power to the fuel pump. The buzzing coming from the relay is a bad thing it means that the relay is not staying closed. When a relay is powered (or grounded depending on the type of circuit) you should only hear a click . I had a similar problem with my XJ and I swapped the A/C relay for the fuel pump relay to get me home. The problem with your marker lights is being caused by that circuit breaker I would replace it with the fuse that is suposed to be there and then check for problems it may be shorting out somewhere (probably the harness connector under the air filter box).I hope this helps.

I have tried swapping relays and they all make a buzzing sound in the second from the front spot. Any idea why?

Im guessing that somthing is shorting out you could have a wire rubbed through and grounding. Get a ohm meter and check for voltage and ground. 1 of those terminals is a ground ( I forget which one ) just check with a meter by sticking the leads right into the socket that the relay plugs into 1 of the terminals should have no voltage if you have voltage at the ground you have a short. it deffinatly sounds like a wire is grounding against something . A good place to check is where the harness comes through the firewall. good luck

if you're talking about getting noises from those relays/fuses while turning your key and not getting anything from the engine try the starter solenoid resister/relay thingy (technical term) located kind of under the fuses/relays you're talking about. It'll have about 5 or 6 wires connected to it from the battery to the starter, etc. Autozone tells you that year doesnt have one but mine did and it fixed my no-starting problem. (i didn't have a problem with my lights though, it sounds like you may have something screwy in your steering column too) Try putting your key in the 'on' position and jumping from the battery to the starter solenoid on this resister. If it starts and stays running that's it. I had to make a little toggle switch even after replacing my resister since the new one only works 99% of the time?!?!

If this isnt your problem, then I have no friggin idea how to help ya.
Good luck.

Back