• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump steer after parts swap

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
I changed out my steering box and while I was at it I installed a ZJ V8 drag link and tie-rod assembly. now I have some wicked bumpsteer. a C-ROK kit was installed with the new steering box and it sure tightened things up. the alignment was bang on. do I need to use a ZJ pitman arm as well? currently running app. 4" of lift with the stock track bar using a relocator bracket on the axle.

So after all these changes (and an alignment?) your trackbar and pitman arm aren't operating in the same plane? That's gonna cause bumpsteer and has to be corrected. I can't picture the arrangement you've got right now, but the two pieces have to be in plane..

The changes you described would not have any effect on bump steer. You would have to change the geometry of your steering or suspension to do so. No combination of drag link and tie rod would do this without a change to the mounting locations.

Therefore, it is likely that:

a. you have changed more than your post indicates

b. you have another problem that you are interpreting as bump steer

c. you already had bump steer, but it was masked by other problems (loose steering box)

Back