• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion yoke... please help

Andrew T

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new pinion yoke... Those stupid little tabs for the u-joint caps...
Long story short, one broke at 70mph.
My question is... I have a 27 spline 8.25 rear... will one from a D30 or a D35 work, or better yet, something stronger, or do I need to find one from an 8.25?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Got a better idea:

Remove yoke, drill out the broken bolt shank, drill all four holes all the way through, then take the yoke to Pep Boys and buy a pair of U-bolt style retainers. They're in the HELP! section. Just find a pair that matches the bolt spacing on your yoke and head for home.

Eagle-
I got a set of these from Tom Woods when he sent my driveshaft back to me.... (great guy, by the way... he stands by his stuff)

Don't I still need the little tabs to be on there though? One is broken halfway off... there's still a little bit there, but I don't want to risk it again. BUT... if those don't have to be there with the u-bolt kit, I won't worry about it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Ah, I gotcha -- the little blip on the outer edge of the yoke recess for the bearing cap snapped off? I was picturing one of the retaining bolts snapping, since I just saw that at Paragon. Yeah, I would think you need something to keep the bearing cap from "walking" outward, but I don't know how much is needed. If the u-bolt style retainer is used and drawn down pretty snug, maybe with a drop or three of Loc-Tite in the bottom of the recess to hold it, there shouldn't be that much lateral load and the remaining portion would hold it.

Why not try it like that, and adopt a practice of inspecting it daily for a week or so. If there's no movement, back off the inspections to once a week and just monitor it. While you're doing that, you can keep looking for a spare yoke off an 8.25 axle.

Wish I could tell you if any old yoke will fit ... but I can't.

Andrew-
I have two extras. One is from a Dana 35, and the other is the front output for a 231 t-case. You're welcome to either of them for the shipping costs.
Let me know...:cool:

I don't think the D35C and 8.25 yokes are interchangeable, my local Jeep parts pusher stocks both, and they are distinctly different depths.

Personally, I'd replace it. Even if you manage to keep the caps from walking, if you are the slightest bit off center, you'll get vibrations in the driveline.

Thanks to all for the help. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace it with one from an 8.25... can't me more than $20 at a junkyard. I'm sure it would be ok for awhile if I tighten it down, but it's not worth losing my ds again on the freeway.

thanks again

Andrew

Back