• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

super 35.... but at a good price

Super 35 and 33's?

• buy another axle w/ the money

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • get it and resell it $$$$

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • buy it and run it

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
I have the opportunity to get a super 35 kit complete in excellent condition for $400. I don't plan on ever going to a larger tire size than I have right now, which is 33's. I am aware that I can get a D44 for that price, but a detroit would be nice as well.

Has anyone ever broken a super 35 running 33's?

Let's hear some opinions.

i think he is just talking about the kit

so that means you'd be into a D35 for near $1000... it would work fine on 33s, but you know eventually the 35s will call your name...

buy it, resell it for $5-600, buy a D44 for $300, and you'll your total cost will only be about $100 more, but you'll have room to go bigger.

BrettM said:
so that means you'd be into a D35 for near $1000... it would work fine on 33s, but you know eventually the 35s will call your name...

buy it, resell it for $5-600, buy a D44 for $300, and you'll your total cost will only be about $100 more, but you'll have room to go bigger.

I agree. If you have to gear it, you will be throwing more $ into it. The 35 should hold up o.k. to 33's and if U truss it. Just watch U don't get close to $1K into it because U will be much better off with a xj dana 44 in there with the same amount of mods.

Troy

Big Red said:
I agree. If you have to gear it, you will be throwing more $ into it. The 35 should hold up o.k. to 33's and if U truss it. Just watch U don't get close to $1K into it because U will be much better off with a xj dana 44 in there with the same amount of mods.

Troy

please stop with U - that is the most f*$king anoying thing that you ro over and over BigRed

lisdexic said:
Has anyone ever broken a super 35 running 33's?

Let's hear some opinions.

Only thing I've broke with mine is my wallet :tears:

P.S. Truss it

BrettM said:
but you know eventually the 35s will call your name...

Yes 35's WILL eventually call your name, they have called mine for a long time.Do I really need them for where I go....no, but darn they look cool :cool:

The D35 often fails because the axle TUBES (not shafts) bend where they enter the diff housing. This causes the axle shafts to run at an angle to the diff, and things don't live long after that. The Super 35 kit does NOTHING to address this problem. The Super 35 kit isn't worth installing unless you also use Superiors's D35 axle truss, which will double your investment.

Otherwise you're just going to break an expensive kit instead of a stock axle.

Look for a Dana 44 or an Exploder 8.8

XJ_ranger said:
please stop with U - that is the most f*$king anoying thing that you ro over and over BigRed

:rolleyes:

get a life.......if it bugs you, don't read it. It bugs me when people nit pick.

Eagle said:
The Super 35 kit isn't worth installing unless you also use Superiors's D35 axle truss, which will double your investment.

Superior's D35 axel truss is vapor ware, you'll need to weld your own

The Super 35 will hold up to 33's........but you need to truss it. The $400 price is real good for a Detroit and alloy Superior shafts. Moving up to 35" tires isn't as inevitable as people tend to say. There's really nothing you can run with 35's that you can't run with 33's.......that's been proven over and over. So, the reason to go with 35's is just because you want to, and then you have to consider front axle strength as well as rear axle strength, plus the steering and brakes. Really, the move from 33's to 35's makes a big difference in equipment requirements unless people just don't care and want to be cool.

Do a good cost comparison between the Super 35 kit and getting a D44 and make your decision, but I wouldn't be afraid of the Super 35 with 33's.

91 Jeep Project said:
Have a thread letting the whole board know that you paid $400 for it and then try and resell it to us for $650.......classic...........:roflmao:

If i'm not going to run it, then why try to sell it for the same amount and make no profit? It's worth $600 anyways, I just got a good deal. I don't see our point.

cloudswimmer said:
Superior's D35 axel truss is vapor ware, you'll need to weld your own

You're comment is based on......what?

I know people who are running them and they look good. I know you can weld one up, but it won't tie in as well as the Superior one does, and many people aren't able to fabricate their own. One good truss across the top doesn't handle the fore and aft forces like the Superior one does.

Goatman said:
You're comment is based on......what?

I know people who are running them and they look good. I know you can weld one up, but it won't tie in as well as the Superior one does, and many people aren't able to fabricate their own. One good truss across the top doesn't handle the fore and aft forces like the Superior one does.

My comment is based on facts from superior and Mike Barnett.The Superior Axel truss was never released for the XJ as a consumer bolt on item.It made it to Mike Barnett of T&J's for prototype work for the XJ but never went any further.The truss was marketed for other jeeps, but now has been discontinued all together.Any Superior 35 Axel trusses you see on XJ's were modified to work.I had my eye on that truss for a couple years, constantly talking with Barnett and Superior almost on a weekly basis, being told soon, soon, soon, then finally "its been scrapped" So after all that waiting I took a welding class and copied Andy Couch's truss and ladder bar to the tee.So far so good.Of course I'm not running as hard as you guys :worship: I'm stiil the local porch puppy I guess :eye:

Just an addendum to my above post.I just got off the phone with a guy who said he had called superior awhile back inquiring about getting their xj truss and was told they could ship one out to him right away for 400.00.He decided against it in the end.But it makes me wonder who's manning their phones over there, or whats up with T&J'sLike I said above I was eagerly awaiting one myself, and the last time I ever called them they said not only were they not doing them for xj's, but that they were discontinuing all axel trusses.So who knows, maybe it was just a secret conspiracy to keep one off my rig :eek:

Back