• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LeBaron Hood Vents Installed!!!

Lore5

NAXJA Forum User
Well today I set out to install my LeBaron hood vents that I got from Troy(BigRed). When I got them they were a dark blue and on Friday I sanded them down and painted them red. It really wasn't to hard to do, it was just a real pain trying to cut the hood decently with a sawsall. (Yes Matt I could have used your help/tools). I have tried to include a semi writeup here. I got most of my info from searching and from www.ericsxj.com.

Here they are:

HoodVents008.jpg

I started out by taping down the area I was going to cut and covered the rest of the hood with newspaper. I then traced the inside of the vents and measured and measured and measured until I felt confident that everything was OK and ready for cutting.

HoodVents002.jpg

Before cutting I put some wood blocks under the hood to raise it up and to make sure I didn't hit anything underneath. I also put one of those oil drip pans under the hood to catch any little pieces (That is what you see in the pic) To start the cutting I drilled a large hole in the center of where each vent was going. This gave me a starting point for where I could start cutting with the sawsall. I then just cut along my lines very slowly making sure I didn't screw up. I would have to say that the hardest part was fitting the vents in place. After cutting there would always bee some little piece of metal preventing the vents from sitting flush with the hood.

HoodVents005.jpg

After getting the vents to sit in the hood it was time to figure out a way to hold them in. My original plan was to make little tabs out of the excess metal I cut off the hood but I quickly realized that this was not an option. I chose to bend some L-brackets so that they would push up against the hood and hold the vents in place. Unfortunately I only had four brackets so right now there are two holding each vent in place. I will pick up some more tomorrow. Having only two brackets prevents the hood from sitting totally flush so that is why some of the corners may look like they are sticking up.

HoodVents011.jpg

Here are some more shots of the finished product:

HoodVents012.jpg

HoodVents010.jpg

What cars see heading down the road towards them

HoodVents013.jpg

I did a lot of reading and everything I read said that I don't need drip pans, So I didn't put them on. And what do you know it just started raining pretty hard. I guess I will find out tomorrow if I really do need them or not.
I know that they didn't turn out to be perfectly straight due to the use of a sawsall but it is barely noticeable. I'm still not convinced that I like the red. I might just end up painting them black when I do the whole Jeep in flat black.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
The vents look great. I like them bright red too, really sets them off. I did mine gloss black because my XJ is red. I'll get up some pics when I get my jeep back. Looks great.

Looks good. I used a jigsaw when I cut my holes and had the hood off the jeep since I was going to repaint it anyhow.

Jigsaw with starter holes drilled and outline taped out.
IMG_0014.sized.jpg

Completed cuts from the underside.
IMG_0018.sized.jpg

Bent some 1/8" thick steel for tabs to hold the vents in place.
IMG_0007_002.sized.jpg

The finished product.
IMG_0028.sized.jpg

Nice X2

Gonna let us know if/how much cooler you run?

wescam said:
Nice X2

Gonna let us know if/how much cooler you run?

I havent noticed a difference in operating temps as I did the closed system conversion on my XJ not too long after that. Under hood temps are deffinatly down tho. You can see the heat escape in waves from those vents.

might want to use a longer piece of metal and connect them to each other in the middle. looks good btw

Ramsey said:
might want to use a longer piece of metal and connect them to each other in the middle. looks good btw

That metal is not really holding them together. I still have to cut it. It's just excess metal left after I bent the L-braces. I still need to put 2 more on each vent

LouisianaZJ said:
rti13tm.jpg

untitled323.jpg

hoodvents_1786.jpg

lebaron vents are the new hotness

i did add drip pans to mine (not pictures) cause it rains alot in louisiana, alot
Nice clean rig! I like the idea of the stickers under the hood instead of all over the Jeep. NICE job! :wave:

BillR said:
Nice clean rig! I like the idea of the stickers under the hood instead of all over the Jeep. NICE job! :wave:
thanks. gotta get that sticker horsepower somehow

btw, the vents on mine were spray bombed with a couple cans of paint from the dealer, then topped off with a couple layers of rattle can clear

Here's my new louvers:

standard.jpg

:D

now where does the rain go on the LeBaron? if we have to make dip pans for ours what is different about the LeBaron motor that they don't need dip pans

Goatman said:
Here's my new louvers:

standard.jpg

:D

Is that a rope on see on that winch Richard?

diabloxj said:
now where does the rain go on the LeBaron? if we have to make dip pans for ours what is different about the LeBaron motor that they don't need dip pans

The Le Baron hoods have the drip pan built into the hood. I don't run any drip pans on my hood and have had no issues with rain/water. IMO they are not needed.

Back