• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Tube Seals

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at those axle tube seals for a Dana 30 front end. Will they work with the disco dana 30?? The passenger side axle is a larger diameter and the illustration for those seals looks like the are for non-disco axles. Otherwise what options are there for keeping those tubes clean?? I see other Jeeps with collars around the axle rings, where can I pick those up??

SPSERG said:
I am looking at those axle tube seals for a Dana 30 front end. Will they work with the disco dana 30?? The passenger side axle is a larger diameter and the illustration for those seals looks like the are for non-disco axles. Otherwise what options are there for keeping those tubes clean?? I see other Jeeps with collars around the axle rings, where can I pick those up??

The disco version puts the seals on the carrier side on the DR side, and at the disco on the Pass side. The non-disco has them both on the carrier side. The collars are slingers and are a stock item. Try a dealer or a place which carries DANA parts. I saw a piece once that on a non-disco axle, fit in the ends of the axle tubes and kept water and dirt out of the axle tubes. Sorry, I forgot who made it.

ED: never mind the last part, here they are: http://www.jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.shtml

I think you and I are talking about the same thing. They fit inside the axle tube itself and seal out any junk from getting in there. I believe they are only for non-disco D30's though, since the passenger side axle is a larger diameter. I dont know how many times my front end has been apart, but all thats there on the shaft is a metal collar. It leaves agap of about 1/8 between it and the outer tube and they are just filling up with junk. Even the factory dust slinger would help but the tube seals would be ideal.

SPSERG said:
I think you and I are talking about the same thing. They fit inside the axle tube itself and seal out any junk from getting in there. I believe they are only for non-disco D30's though, since the passenger side axle is a larger diameter. I dont know how many times my front end has been apart, but all thats there on the shaft is a metal collar. It leaves agap of about 1/8 between it and the outer tube and they are just filling up with junk. Even the factory dust slinger would help but the tube seals would be ideal.

Yup, non-disco only. That collar is the slinger. New models it's plastic. I thought you were initially talking about the stock seals...

Got mine from drivetrain direct... they were on sale too!

Just an opinion here, but those factory collars just seem to hold more dirt in rather than keep it out. If you take them off after being in deep mud, you can see where the dirt is being held in by the collars. I leave them off, along with the rotor mud collectors(dust shields).

I see your point, but the big killer in my area is sand. I believe that trying to clean it out only will force it into the seals. Thats why i would like to keep it out to begin with

FWIW -- I've been running the DTD axle tube seals on my disco housing with non-disco shafts for 2 years with no issues.

Back