• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would new neutral safety switch cause lack of power or wierd shift patterns

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed the neutral safety switch on my dads 91 auto, np242, 6 cylinder. It seemed to work great. The jeep would start in park and neutral like it should, and not start in the other gears. It ran great for about 2 miles then started to lack power or
shift wierd. would the nss cause this sort of problem if it was out of adjustment. Thanks For any
comments

Thanks thats what I thought. Guess I will have to look some where else for the problem. Thats what you get when you get the jeep for free. You have to
expect a few problems.

Hickey said:
Neutral Safety Switch only interferes with the starter. It would have no effect on the way an engine runs after it is started.

Actually, that's not quite true on an AW4. The NSS also tells the computer what gear is selected, and if it's not adjusted properly, it might be giving the computer wrong information. It might be worthwhile to check the adjustment again (or just check it if you didn't do it the first time). With the shift linkage disconnected, shift the tranny into neutral. Loosen the adjusting bolt (the single bolt that holds the NSS body to the tranny). One of the grooves in the NSS shaft should line up with the vertical line on the face of the NSS case. You may have to bend back the locking tabs on the shaft nut before adjusting. When it lines up, retighten the bolt, and reconnect the linkage.

Back