• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rowher and ruts

casm

NAXJA Forum User
So... A couple of friends and I were bored last night, so decided to hit up Rowher flats for a midnight run. We didn't run Rowher proper since none of our vehicles are really suitable for it, but did fart around the staging areas and made our way on to 6N07/6N08 for an easy run out to Boquet Lake from the Sand Canyon end.

It's pretty much the same as it ever was, with the addition of some minor rock spills and mudslides that can either be avoided or driven over. However, one thing worth mentioning: the rains have cut some of the surface water channels on the trails (and around the staging areas) into very deep, narrow ruts.

Some of these ruts run parallel to the blind side of small humps and rises, then turn rapidly perpendicular to them. We found out about this when the 4Runner in our group got both its right wheels trapped in a rut roughly 2.5' deep but less than a foot wide. It towed out easily, though :)

Nothing really earth-shattering otherwise - just thought folks might like to know what it's like up there right now. Oh, there are also a few mud puddles up there but nothing really worth driving out for - they'll get you dirty, but there's no real challenge in them.

Thanks to the info on Rowher. I have been running Rowher once or twice a week at night alone (I know, really dumb!). I usually run the Lookout trail. The first big rain in early January really has made the trails a lot more fun and technical (especially the lookout trail).

I would love to hook up with someone willing to go out there either in the evenings or weekends. I have a pretty capable rig with a 7" Tera Flex Long arm lift and ARB lockers front and rear, 8.8 rear axle and much more. If anyone is going out let me know and I would love to go out there and ride.

As I said I am new to the XJ and 4 wheeling scene. I have never run my rig anywhere but Rowher (yet). I would like to know how people would consider Rowher on a scale from 1 to 10 (ten being hardest). I can run all the trails (that I know of) up and down with no problems and am curious as to how I would fare elsewhere. I live in Pasadena and would also like to know of a couple other places to go.

If anyone wants to go let me know! [email protected]

cracker said:
Thanks to the info on Rowher. I have been running Rowher once or twice a week at night alone (I know, really dumb!). I usually run the Lookout trail. The first big rain in early January really has made the trails a lot more fun and technical (especially the lookout trail).

I would love to hook up with someone willing to go out there either in the evenings or weekends. I have a pretty capable rig with a 7" Tera Flex Long arm lift and ARB lockers front and rear, 8.8 rear axle and much more. If anyone is going out let me know and I would love to go out there and ride.

As I said I am new to the XJ and 4 wheeling scene. I have never run my rig anywhere but Rowher (yet). I would like to know how people would consider Rowher on a scale from 1 to 10 (ten being hardest). I can run all the trails (that I know of) up and down with no problems and am curious as to how I would fare elsewhere. I live in Pasadena and would also like to know of a couple other places to go.

If anyone wants to go let me know! [email protected]

Hey Cracker, (is that saltine or wheat thin? J/K) :)
www.SoCalXJ.com is having their 6 anniversary Jamboree in a couple of weeks out at Stoddard Valley. You should go. It is a good bunch of folks, most are here on this board as well. And it is a good place to try something new, that way you can rate Rohwer for yourself. Hope to see you there.
I have attached the link below..... Oh yeah it is free of charge also...

Scott Suyeto

http://www.socalxj.com/jambo.htm

cracker said:

Yeah, what usually would've been a no-brainer out to Boquet actually had some interesting bits the other night. I've been a good way up Lookout (assuming we're talking about the same one - steep, narrowish downhill from the open area staging point, small dry creek & shade tree at the bottom, then steep uphill for, oh, eternity ;) )

As I said I am new to the XJ and 4 wheeling scene. I have never run my rig anywhere but Rowher (yet). I would like to know how people would consider Rowher on a scale from 1 to 10 (ten being hardest).

It depends on where you are on the trails. Much of it is passable by 2WD pickups, but about a month after I got my first XJ I nearly spent the night on the side of the hill after accidentally going down what seemed like an eighty-diamond trail in a completely stock rig - basically, I'd turned onto Rowher proper and learned a valuable lesson about lockers :)

I can run all the trails (that I know of) up and down with no problems and am curious as to how I would fare elsewhere. I live in Pasadena and would also like to know of a couple other places to go.

San Gabriel Canyon OHV Area is pretty close - 210E to Azusa Blvd., turn left, keep going North until you hit it about 12 miles on. They get some good mud up there, but the rest of it's generally pretty tame - sandy washes, some rock gardens. Not a bad place to do a shakedown run if you don't want to end up stranded way the hell out in the back of beyond.

Also check out latrails.com - they've got a pretty good listing. Oh, and there's a book put out by the AAA called "Backcountry Adventures: Southern California". The maps suck, but it does give some good ideas for starting points as well as GPS coordinates along the trails. Good book, but don't rely on it as your sole guide.

Well thank you for all of the info. I had heard about Azusa canyon but someone had mentioned it was closed due to all the wonderful rain we have had.

I am going to try to make it to the SoCalXJ
6th Annual Jamboree but might only be there on the Sunday. I still would like to hook up with someone for a late night run or weekend run out at Rowher if anyone is interested.

-Cracker

[email protected]

Back