• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skid Prices

I'm looking for the best price for quality on a gas tank skid for my '98 XJ.
I've been looking at the Tomkin one at $178. However, I've heard bad things about them. I just want something to protect my gas tank that dousn't cost to much. Should I go with the Tomkin, or does anyone know of a better deal?
Thanks for the help.

i got my gas tank skid for $20 at a junkyard.

its the OEM mopar skid-- i primed and painted it and now its as good as new

most of the guys on here will agree with its stout-ness

i havent beat the heck out of it, but it seems to be built/designed well

make sure u get the correct year for your rig though, (84-96 vs 97+ )

shotstopper said:
However, I've heard bad things about them.

What have you heard bad about the Tomken gas tank skid? From what it sounds like, if the mopar one can hold up to a beating, why wouldnt the tomken?

It also depends on where you will be wheeling....

FWIW I used the internet to find the factory gas tank skid and a Class III Receiver hitch for 80$ from a junkyard. Try that first if money is an issue, but unless you go pick up or pull the part, I suppose it could be a little dinged up.....

I got my Mopar one for a 98 XJ when they went on clearance for $9 out the door. :) I've beat the hell out of it and no dents, just scratches....so far.

Later,
Rough

The thing about the Tomken skid is

A. it is only 1/8" steel, unless that has changed

B. very weak mounting. Mounts to the two gas tank hanger bolts in front of gas tank and to the bottom lip of the rear crossmember, which is very weak.

You best bet is to find a skid that mounts to the frame rails, like the stock Mopar, Skid Row, or Rock Lizard Fabrications (there may be a few more, but that's all that comes to mind). I had the Tomken for a little while, but it didn't last very long on my rig.

I'm also looking for a gas tank skid. I have a 97. I read somewhere that a gas tank skid for a YJ is the same as the 97-01 XJ gas tank skid. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if so... what year YJ is compatible?

I'm running the Tomken skid as well, but I haven't had any problems. The mounting is kinda weak, but its held up well so far. Only a few scatches.

actually the tomken, mine, and many others use the same mounting points and have been tested for many years without any problems. the design vary but all work well. I personally use mine as a tool to push up and over obstacles. Dont worry about the mounting points they will hold up better than the control arm mounts will. Thousands have been sold without any failures. I think that speaks for itself

picture.JPG

IdeaMan said:
I'm also looking for a gas tank skid. I have a 97. I read somewhere that a gas tank skid for a YJ is the same as the 97-01 XJ gas tank skid. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if so... what year YJ is compatible?

Not the YJ, it's the stock ZJ skids (93-98) that are compatible with the 97-01 XJ.

you should have gotten skid row's before they jacked up their prices in january. i :heart: mine

I have a Tomken skid on mine. It's taken quite a few hard hits and barely scratched the paint. They are tough.
That being said, I like the design of the xjnation skid better, and would buy that one if I didn't already have mine. The sides are open, making it easier to wash out the gravel and such.

I run the C4x4 rear bumper, a hidden hitch, and the tomken skid works just fine with that combo. The only problem I have had with the tomken skid is the exhaust hanger vibrates against it. You can adjust it a little, but it always seems to work its way back over.

if $$ is not an issue, i'd go with the rocklizard/DPG skid... otherwise XJnation has great prices and has held up just fine. the XJnation skid is really quick to install too!

HTH
brandon

Unless I was told wrong, the '95 ZJ skid will work on the '97+ XJs. Might open up a bigger market for those searching. I hear that holes will need to be drilled. Other than that the rest fits.

Matt98XJ said:
I run the C4x4 rear bumper, a hidden hitch, and the tomken skid works just fine with that combo. The only problem I have had with the tomken skid is the exhaust hanger vibrates against it. You can adjust it a little, but it always seems to work its way back over.

common with most aftermarket, that is why i position mine 1/2" to the drivers side to stop that from happening

I run the OEM gas tank skid. The few times I have actually contacted it, it has held up just fine. 19 gallon take is still a 19 gallon tank.

01 XJ.

Back