• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 filter change: Omix-Ada vs "Mopar"

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
Well, it's time to change the fluid in my tranny, and I figure the filter needs to be changed as well. I'm closing in on 100k on the ticker, and I had the tranny flushed at 60k. Still running the original filter.

Anyway, Tellico4x4 has an Omix-Ada OEM replacement filter and gasket for $23. I was wondering if anyone had any comments as to the quality of this vs a "dealer" filter and gasket?

Also, what's the general consensus on putting the tranny pan back on with just the gasket, vs just RTV?

The AW4 has a stainless steel metal screen for the filter, You should only have to remove it and clean it with a good solvent... I have 175K on mine and have cleaned it 5 times over the years... I also dump the fluid every 25k as well... But if you want to replace it, nothing beats factory.... As for the pan, go to toyota and buy a tube of FIPG for the transaxle..Orange sealer....The only way to go for the gasket in my opinion...

I agree with RC on just cleaning the screen. I would stay away from cork gaskets at all costs, they are just too easy to break/tear. A good rubber gasket is nice if you plan on dropping the pan multiple times - it usually can be reused. But RTV is my choice...

Will.

Omix-Ada is on a par with OEM (or perhaps better) - I've used their parts for suspension replacement and the like and I've been happy with them.

As far as the AW4 filter, I rarely even drop the pan. Drain the fluid so that it runs over a large magnet, and perhaps through a rather fine bit of window screen, to check for chunks and metal. If you see anything other than fluid, you might want to pull the pan. If not, don't worry.

I replaced a number of pan bolts with metric studs (M6-1.0x30mm, I think) and that makes it easier to keep everything all together while you put it all in place. I also used a cork gasket because I prefer them, but I don't like to use RTV for a "maintenance" gasket because I find that removing the RTV is a pain. I use paper axle gaskets installed dry, simply because it becomes a much easier change (pull cover, remove gasket, install new gasket, install cover, refill) and cuts about half of the time out of the job.

The AW4 is a sturdy box, just keep the fluid changed and it will run alright. I'm still amazed at what abuse I've put mine to without any significant trouble...

5-90

What about the oil pan gasket? RTV/Orange stuff or the factory gasket?

basalt51 said:
What about the oil pan gasket? RTV/Orange stuff or the factory gasket?

I'd highly recommend getting the one-piece oil pan gasket, it makes like much easier, and only runs about $20 through 4WD Hardware. The part number is #53007568

rearmain16.jpg

Back