• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new tool reccomendation

gjxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm reading the leaf spring thread and thinking
its about time i get a sawzall. Any advice? It looks like I
can get a decent brand corded model around $100, but otherwise I
dont really know what ot look for,

I haven't looked at current offerings, but if you're expecting to do a lot of work on metal, variable speed is a definite plus (as opposed to switch-selectable speeds). If you expect to use it on wood too, a selectable oscillating blade action is nice, but straight is better for metal, and also for plunge cuts in wood.

Nothing like a sawzall for reducing a parts car to bite-size pieces!

You can get a 'sawzall' from anywhere around 20 bucks up to several hundred dollars.

Look for one you know where to find the people who made tomorrow.

I have a Dewalt 302(I think), its a 6 amp model. It is perfect for what I do with it. I paid around 100 bucks for it. But, I will say it is the only Dewalt tool I own that I am sastified with. I have burned up a hammer drill,fragged an angle grinder, and completely hate my keyless chuck drill.

Milwaukee is a great brand, the cases are damn near indestructable, a real consideration if you plan on running them over, or throwing them off the roof.

B&D (maker of Dewalt) used to make a mid level brand named Quantum. They were really nice for the price.

gjxj said:
Hello, I'm reading the leaf spring thread and thinking
its about time i get a sawzall. Any advice? It looks like I
can get a decent brand corded model around $100, but otherwise I
dont really know what ot look for,

I have a Porter-Cable TIGER saw. It is a sawzall by another name. Great and tough saw. built a house and used it in that application. Don't use it a lot, but when you really need it, it is worth it's weight in gold. Got it at Home Depot as I recall and was not that expensive. That would be my brand-name choice personally.

Been doing heat and air for 10 years and got a dewalt (6amp) right off in 95 and it is still kicking strong... If I were to buy anothter one I would probably go to the Milwawkee though. No reason except I like the color... I have been around others who own one and never heard a bad word.

You will use this tool more than you think so buy a good one!

JC95

then, time for a bad word.

I sold my Makita to buy a Milwaukee because I have nothing but praise for my Milwaukee 3/8 hammer drill and angle grinder. The drill is over 20 years old, seen heavy use and still purrs like a kitten. But, I didn't like the Milwaukee sawzall. It just didn't seem to cut through stuff as easy as the Makita. I ended up selling it and going back to Makita. I like the quick change blade feature too. My Milwaukee didn't have that.

I own a Milwaukee Sawzall model 6735-22. I got it in 1998 and the box said it was the first model with dynamic balancing. I had used a buddies working on my house without dynamic balancing. Dynamic balancing does make a difference. You are not shaken by the saw, the blade the only thing moving & shaking!!! It also has variable speed, 10 amp, and the stroke is 1-1/4 inch which makes for good cutting. The "foot" distance from the saw is also adjustable.

I do not own stock in Milwaukee Tool company but the word "sawzall" is their trademark. Every other tool company has to call their tool a reciprocating saw. That the problem when you are the first one to come out with a tool and people begin to call any tool of that configuration by your trademark name. Other examples are:
* Crescent Wrench for an adjustable wrench
* Xerox instead of photo copy
* Coke for any carbonated soft drink

If you fix stuff then I highly recommend you own a reciprocating saw. You can find a cheap one at Harbor Fright and if you only do a few cuts a month that tool will do. If you are remodeling a house then the better tool from a name brand tool company.

I highly recommend the Milwaukee Quik-loc blade clamp like on the Sawzall I own. You just turn the barrell and unlock the old blade and install the new blade. The type of "chuck" that you use a set screw to hold in the blade can cause problems. The bolt works loose while you cut or you even lose the bolt. Also you can mount the blade in either direction with the quick-lock, don't think you can do with most bolt together type.

Do not worry too much about the amp rating of the tool, a lot of that is marketing. I'd buy the no tool required chuck for the blade and get one with some type of dynamic balancing.

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman Professional 7 amp corded (6-7yrs old) varible speed and love it. I have cut up 2 parts vehicles, 40 trees, 100's of pallets and everything else with this saw and I have not had any problems.
Blade wise, if you are cutting any metal, get the "rescue & recovery" blades. They are very stiff and wear great.

Interesting I found this thread today. I just used my Milwaukee Super Sawzall, for the first time, on my Jeep yesterday.

I used it to cut cutouts in my rear bumper to mount rear facing spot/backup lights.

It worked great. I was very satisfied with the Milwaukee. The only reason I got a Milwaukee is becuase I have a Milwaukee Hammer Drill that is dang near unstoppable.

That is my recommedation.

Cottontail said:
Interesting I found this thread today. I just used my Milwaukee Super Sawzall, for the first time, on my Jeep yesterday.

I used it to cut cutouts in my rear bumper to mount rear facing spot/backup lights.

It worked great. I was very satisfied with the Milwaukee. The only reason I got a Milwaukee is becuase I have a Milwaukee Hammer Drill that is dang near unstoppable.

That is my recommedation.

Im gonna have to agree Milwaukee makes a really great tool thats what i would go with

also another good brand is porter cable, they make a really great tool also
I use both brands when I work and they are the best I have used

What you get really depends on what your over all work habits are.
If you do work on your house as well...but not for a living...and you don't have a buch of power tools yet, I would suggest buying one of the 18 V kits that includes the 'recipocating saw', drill, circular saw, etc. Prices range from $200 and up.
Unless you make a living off your tools, I have never had an issue where the battery powered ones did not last long enough (most come with 2 batterys). And it shure saves a lot of time not having to drag power cords around....and they are somewhat safer since you don't have to worry about getting shocked.

But if your going to give it a lot of use, then you will be better off with a corded unit as noted above.

John

I have owned the Milwaukee Super Sawzall for around 12 years,
and the Dewalt 18V Cordless for around 7 years.
The charge on the 18V batteries don't last long enough for heavy work, and the batteries themselves need replacement after a few years. But the cord-free factor is nice.
If you go the cordless route, consider looking into the Craftsman combo. I do not know anything about their cordless Sawzall, but their 18V drill/saw combo has lasted me for around 10 years with only 1 new set of batteries required.

I had the Makita 18V cordless Drill/saw set and had one set of 2.2ah batteries that only lasted one year, and 2.8ah batteries which lasted me less than 3 years, plus the 1/2 drill burnt up at 1 1/2 years. Makita warranteed the drill and first pair of batteries.

I have the Dewalt 18V drill/light/Sawzall combo, and am looking at buying my second set of batteries in seven years.

I was in business and used these tools daily, but I think battery life would be my biggest concern if I was going to buy cordless vs. Corded. There are times where one tool outshines the other, but if I had to have only one, it would be the corded Sawzall.

Back