• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Country + Lift advice needed

casm

NAXJA Forum User
OK. Searched, read through much of what I found, and could use some opinions from anyone who may have been down this road before.

The rig is a 2000 Limited, NP242, AW4, Up Country. With the previous XJ ('01 Sport), the plan had been to net between three and four inches of lift. However, the new one already sits taller due to the Up Country package. Thing is, I need to end up with the same amount of lift - 3"-4" - over non-Up Country stock. This is mainly due to lousy clearance pulling into my apartment's garage.

Previously, the two kits up for consideration were DPG's OME 3" lift and the RE6025 from Rubicon Express. However, I have two concerns in selecting these:

- Does the OME kit work with the Up Country package?

- The RE kits are known for netting more lift than they advertise. Anyone running one on an Up Country care to comment? If I decide to go this route, would I be better off opting for the 2" kit and substituting full leafs (mine are going to go fairly soon, so AALs are out)?

I'm well aware of SYE requirements, etc. - just need an opinion on the Up Country running either of these lifts.

My understanding of the Up Country package was that it was simply a slightly higher spring rate coil in the front and leaf packs with higher arch to the leaves in the rear. That and no rear anti-sway bar. I could be way off here, but I would imagine that putting either of those lifts on will be exactly the same as lifting a regular bare-bones XJ, since you are completely replacing the springs front and rear. I would be very surprised to find that there is any difference to the body or axle mounts on an Up Country XJ as opposed to the SE models. Also, how many miles are on your leaves? Mine 97 had 160000kms on them when I lifted it and they had only sagged about 3/4" from stock. The leaves themselves are in fine shape, they only needed a slight rearching. I would imagine that your leaves are probably in good shape, just sagging. Here are some stats from Eagle regarding the upcountry vs stock leaves:

stock spring:
Eye-to-eye = 49-1/2"
Front (eye to pin) = 23-1/4"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6"

Up Country spring:
Eye-to-eye = 49"
Front (eye to pin) = 23-1/4"
Rear (eye to pin) = 29"
Arch (eye centerline to top of leaf at pin) = 6-3/4"

B.

I've got a '95 XJ with the up country package.

I've worked with Dirk and have OME components installed that have gotten me right at 3".

There was no compatability problems with that lift and my factory fitments.

The Up Country springs give .75 to 1" lift over stock. I put a budget boost/AAL on my Up Country and got the advertised 1.75 to 2 " lift. Add the Up Country and my total lift was almost 3" over stock. I did need to drop the T-case and will be doing a SYE someday. The Up Country option was just the taller springs and some other add on stuff. You will get the same lift as a stock XJ if you swap out the springs. All parts stock and aftermarket parts will fit and exchange between them.

Last edited:
Roll-over said:
it would be a b1tch having to air down just to park.

Yeah, no kidding :)

As it happens, I've got it worked out - with 31" tires, I can go to about 4" of lift and clear the top of the gate by around six inches. I simulated the height by putting some empty cardboard boxes on top of the XJ and driving through: no problems at all, though it is a slightly tighter squeeze than I'd like.

Just put a 3 inch Rough Country lift (coils and AAL) on our 98 "Up Country". The AAL with UC leafs raised the rear a full 3 inches. 3 inch coils only raised the front 2 inches. Now adding 1 1/2 inch coil spacers to level. Transfer case drop was a must (bad vibes) and longer rear brake line. Finally - UC front skid plate does not allow you to space sway bar down, so had to buy the longer, quick-disconnect links.

I have a similar rig with the RE 6025 (Super Ride).

True, the lift nets higher and ends up at least at 4" (or more). Has not sagged yet and it's been a few months.

I am quite sure the Up-Country package is not a factor, as you are changing coils, springs and shocks. - so essentially, setting it at the height you want from stock...

Keep in mind that SYE (HandT) and adjustable track bar are almost a certainty. Drop pitman recommended as well.

I already replaced the coils with RE 4.5"s and added JKS boomerang shackles, so likley at 5" by now... I found the RE spring packs to be a tad short but the shackle relocation adds too much to the lift...

Drop pitman is not needed until you have 6-8" of lift.

UpCountry package is +1 springs with a slightly firmer spring rate, upgraded shocks, HD cooling, full skids, tow hooks, transmission cooler, and a Limited Slip.

7 years later, My XJ has 5.5" of lift, and lockers front and rear. The old UpCountry springs with AAL are on a different XJ.

Last edited:
Back