• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Cylinder Lock Help!

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. Currently trying to replace my ignition cylinder and ran into trouble. The instructions were not model specific. Not sure where the release pin is and what position the key is supposed to be in. Have a picture of the partially dissembled column with an arrow pointing where i think the pin is. Can anyone tell me if I need to further dissemble or specifically how to remove the black slotted disk show in the pic? Thanks in advance..
Blaise

’90 XJ 4.0 Auto trans….

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blaisetd/my_photos
Look for "ignition"

Oh, man you are a long way from where you need to be.

You still have to remove the lockplate, and the turn signal switches.

Key needs to be in the 'on' position. I don't think the FSM specified that.

Actually "off" position. Which is not Lock, and the first position when you turn the key foward.

I just put a new cylinder lock in my cherokee last week. Once you get the turn signal cam out, you will(well on mine) need to move this thingy out so u can access the torx bolt thats holding the cylinder in. It looks like contacts and it will pull out. This thingy must be returned back in with the new cylinder lock in "off" position or it wont work right.

Dan

dan89XJ said:
Actually "off" position. Which is not Lock, and the first position when you turn the key foward.

I just put a new cylinder lock in my cherokee last week. Once you get the turn signal cam out, you will(well on mine) need to move this thingy out so u can access the torx bolt thats holding the cylinder in. It looks like contacts and it will pull out. This thingy must be returned back in with the new cylinder lock in "off" position or it wont work right.

Dan

The FSM specifies 'on' position for both tilting and non-tilting columns. This is a FSM for the 1988 model. Be careful removing the key warning buzzer switch. It looks like a couple of plastic tabs and a copper strip. If you bend it, you will never get it back in.

Last edited:
w_howey said:
The FSM specifies 'on' position for both tilting and non-tilting columns. This is a FSM for the 1988 model. Be careful removing the key warning buzzer switch. It looks like a couple of plastic tabs and a copper strip. If you bend it, you will never get it back in.

Intresting - ive never seen the FSM but the ignition lock i bought came with directions and it said 'off' position. But this cylinder lock is a univeral GM column lock so it'd fit many models. When I read it, it had me confused, but one step when you turn the key from the lock position is where you want it. Off - On - whatever it is.

Back