• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running the RE track bar brace?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
Like it says? If you're running it do you have any clearance problems? I noticed on mine the gap between the bar and the oil pan was very small. I pulled the bar off after about 2 years and i could see where the bar and the pan had been rbbing eachother. I am going to try to space the bar down. Has anyone done that or needed to?

-Mike

BTW- the motor mounts are good as they are the MORE bomb-proof ones.

Mike L said:
Like it says? If you're running it do you have any clearance problems? I noticed on mine the gap between the bar and the oil pan was very small. I pulled the bar off after about 2 years and i could see where the bar and the pan had been rbbing eachother. I am going to try to space the bar down. Has anyone done that or needed to?

-Mike

BTW- the motor mounts are good as they are the MORE bomb-proof ones.
It IS a small clearance. I still have the splash guard between the bar and the pan. I like mine, but I installed it at the same time I did the HD trackbar and brace. Mine doesn't rub...yet... :gag:

Last edited:
I see no problem with adding a 1/4" spacer plate on the pass. side to add some clearance at the pan. Just use the brace as a template. If you do have contact, perhaps your uniframe isn't exactly straight? Check to make sure all the motor mount bolts are tight too.

Mine doesn't rub Mike and I agree with XJEEPER just try spacing it down. Also I have seen you wheel. I was actually with you when you took the picture that is your avatar. Your XJ flexes like mad which may be why that little space is missing on your rig but is persent on mine.... :wave:

XJEEPER said:
I see no problem with adding a 1/4" spacer plate on the pass. side to add some clearance at the pan. Just use the brace as a template. If you do have contact, perhaps your uniframe isn't exactly straight?

Brian T.

btraysxj said:
Mine doesn't rub Mike and I agree with XJEEPER just try spacing it down. Also I have seen you wheel. I was actually with you when you took the picture that is your avatar. Your XJ flexes like mad which may be why that little space is missing on your rig but is persent on mine.... :wave:

Brian T.

I had some extra 3/16" plate laying around so I made 2 spacer plates to bring it down. Instead of just putting them between the body and brace and bolting it together I just welded it all up to make it stronger. I put 4 rosette welds in each plate and welded all the way around the plate. I did each one at a time. This was probably all overkill but better safe than sorry.

Right now I am, just waiting for the paint to dry and then I can bolt it all back up together. After it is all bolted up and get some daylight I will take some pics to show the aftermath. If I didn't tell you about the spacer plates you probably wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at it.

-Mike

I'm pretty sure flexy rigs are one of the reasons the RE Trackbar brace never seems to sell well. It's a major pain in the butt to install if the frame isn't exactly in factory specs, but once it was on I liked the way it stiffened up the front. I've got about 3/8" clearance between the brace and the oilpan on mine, using stock motor mounts.

Actually, now that you mention it I want to measure the gap and see how much it changes this week when I replace my tranny mount...

HERES the pics after I finished bolting it all down. I now have good clearance between the pan and the bar. It looks like the bar came that way. ANy thoughts?

-Mike

Back