• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't figure what this is?

XJRedneck

NAXJA Forum User
I was checking my XJ for any loose or missing bolts and I came across this "shock" that is connected from my engine to the frame. I figure it helps dampen the engine if it gets bounced around, I can't find any pictures or information about it in my Haynes Repair Manual.

If you know what this is give me a holler and tell me, it is really bugging me not knowing.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/13179/doohicky.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta be an old 4-cyl. It has always amused me that they felt this was necessary on the anemic carbureted 2.5L but it isn't necessary on the 4.0L, with about twice the torque.

all the more reason to chain the motor!

Inline 4's by design are difficult to tune out rotational vibrations. An inline 6 on the other hand is known to be one of the smoothest running configurations. Nothing to do with the torque output, but rather variations in firing pulses that need to be damped out, especially at low idle speeds

chain's cheaper, and allows a bit more compliance. ;)

Back