• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks limiting droop?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching and didn't really see a definite answer. I ssume it is ok to use a shock to limit droop but you can't use one to limit compression. I plan on ordering some 7100's and wanted to see what you guys said. Should I set up the mounts to use the shock to limit drrop or use limit straps? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

I had some no name 30 inch shocks on the XJ when I installed the D-44.
The shocks became my limiting straps. I didn't like it, I kept loosing the drivers side rubber isolators on the top of the shock, and it seemed awfully hard on the top of the shock tower. I installed longer shocks and the brake lines became the limiting straps. Installed longer lines, and now the springs just fall out of the tower at full flex. it RTI's at 970. I'm adding limiting straps to keep the springs in.

Mike L said:
I tried searching and didn't really see a definite answer. I ssume it is ok to use a shock to limit droop but you can't use one to limit compression. I plan on ordering some 7100's and wanted to see what you guys said. Should I set up the mounts to use the shock to limit drrop or use limit straps? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

A) 'Droop' is nice for a ramp queen vehicle...and while it looks 'cool' it serves no ultimate practical purpose on the trail. That said, don't sacrifice compression for extension. The further away from the body you place the tire, the less weight (ie: traction) you have on it. Locked or not, if you have no weight on a tire you will NOT grip. Plain and simple.

B) While there is no warranty on the 7100 shocks like there is with the 5100 series, they are still quite expensive to break when used as 'limiting straps.' Do it once, do it right. Use limiting straps to limit extension and use bumpstops to prevent full compression. 7100s have nice long travel, so you're not sacrificing anything there. If you're investing the $$ to set those shocks up, do it wisely.

HTH and if you have any questions about the 7100s hit me backchannel. I deal with them on a regular basis.

ECKSJAY said:
A) 'Droop' is nice for a ramp queen vehicle...and while it looks 'cool' it serves no ultimate practical purpose on the trail. That said, don't sacrifice compression for extension. The further away from the body you place the tire, the less weight (ie: traction) you have on it. Locked or not, if you have no weight on a tire you will NOT grip. Plain and simple.

B) While there is no warranty on the 7100 shocks like there is with the 5100 series, they are still quite expensive to break when used as 'limiting straps.' Do it once, do it right. Use limiting straps to limit extension and use bumpstops to prevent full compression. 7100s have nice long travel, so you're not sacrificing anything there. If you're investing the $$ to set those shocks up, do it wisely.

HTH and if you have any questions about the 7100s hit me backchannel. I deal with them on a regular basis.

yeah what he said. Full extension is just a damaging to a shock as full compression. set it up right with bumpstops and straps......

Back