• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer fluid leak while wheeling

John90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, you've probably experienced this. The washer fluid starts to leak out the back hose on the wiper arm when you're on a steep hill.

Has anyone come up with a clever way to prevent this from happening? Clipping the hose somewhere to block it off while wheeling? Any other good ideas?

John

i could never stop mine, my line on my 89 was too dry rotted, good luck
jimmy

got the same prob on my 96

John90XJ said:
OK, you've probably experienced this. The washer fluid starts to leak out the back hose on the wiper arm when you're on a steep hill.

Has anyone come up with a clever way to prevent this from happening? Clipping the hose somewhere to block it off while wheeling? Any other good ideas?

John

Yeah, once it all leaks out, don't refill it. :D

Why worry? It's like if your rig is ... pissing the one behind you!

The worst thing was when I had relocated the washer bottle pe in the trunk of my 1978 Fiat. Every time I hit the brakes, the windshield received a squirt of washing fluid.

If you are that interested in remeding this, use a separate bottle with an electric pump and install it somewhere in the trunk. It is the length of the water column in the pipe, that causes it to run on steep angles.

Rgds

JeepFreak21 said:
I'll try to figure it out for you as soon as I finish rigging a remote to my leather seat warmer so that I can warm my seats 10 mins before I get in when I'm wheelin' and it's cold out.
you ever get that done? was interested in doing the same to mine

im sure there is some sort if clamp you can put on the hose b4 u start wheeling, and them removing it for on road use.

I finally pulled the hose out, folded it over on itself 3 times and ran a zip tie around the hose and wiper arm. Problem solved. I used a bright fluorescent zip tie so I would remember to cut it off after wheeling.

meant the leather seats

Same prob with my 97, after a good hill climb I usually loose half the fluid- looks pretty funny when it does it though. When it did again last weekend, I went to lowes and got a on off valve that looked liked it would fit the hose, I'm just going to extend the hose that comes off the tank, mount the valve on the fender wall. When the valve is in the off position the vacuum it makes should stop any fluid from leaking out ( same concept when you place the end of your finger over a straw when you were a kid and held the drink up in the straw while your parents were yellin at you for bad table manners:) ) - so thats my plan for whenever I get some free time this week

Seems to me there was a TSB on that and they added a one way valve. The residual force taken to open the valve could not be overcome simply by gravity, but the pump had no problem.

i built the bottle into my rock rail and used a fuel pump to run it. Now i have 60 PSI washer fluid...

:star:

kewlkatdady said:
does it really bother you enough to jack with it?....
Hell not me, i just brought it back cause i thought it was funny

Back