• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modifying for a BIGGER oil filter...

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
OK, i searched and couldnt find exactly what i want 2 do. I once saw an article about swapping over to a bigger oil filter then running synthetic and now i cant find anything on it. I believe all u had to do was buy the mount for the bigger oil filter that was a stock fit but with different threads for a proper seal. SO , does anyone on here know how or have any links, pics to this?????

personally, i would rather run a remote oil filter. then you can getany size you want. even throw in a oil cooler if you want.

You can get that stuff out of summit or jegs.

Matt

You should just be able to go to your local auto parts store and tell them what vehicle you have and have them look for a longer canister. I have never checked , but chances are there is another filter out there with the same threads and diameter. Let us know if you find such a filter and if so the part number. It sounds like a very good idea to get better cooling and more oil life. and its a free mod depending on how much the filter costs. If you find one that is bigger also remember to put in more oil according to how much bigger the filter is.

If you want something great good to amsoil.com and look for there DUAL OIL FILTER system. its remote with two filters, running that and there 5w-30 heavy duty syn. motor oil you be golden. clean oil that you can run for 25000 miles.

the bigger filter for (i think 91+) XJs
is the FRAM PH 8A
this is also the ford 5.0 v8 filter (and i think 5.8 too)

you can squeeze one of these into a stock location, on my 96 i could anyway.

with the bigger filter, you will, of course, require more oil....just to keep in mind

HTH

CaptTrev

Just a warning. Many have done this conversion and had it work fine. I did it and it worked fine too.........once. Then the next time I had real low oil pressure even with the extra oil added. I replaced it with a stock one and it worked fine. Anytime you use a different filter, you run the risk of a different relief spring rate, different materials, etc. Jeep designed it for a certain filter for a reason. I would say for more capacity go with a remote setup that is designed to use a larger filter.

If you choose to run the larger filter in the stock location, you just need the Fram PH8A or equivelant for a 5.0L Ford. Beware though that if you have the filter that points straight up now, you need the new adapter with SAE threads for this to work. It's like $15.00 at the dealer.

I've been running the K&N 3001 (Fram PH8A) in mine for about 3 years and never had a problem. I have a '98 XJ BTW.

Later,
Rough

Dont mean to thread jack, but i think this goes along the same lines. When using synthetic oils to run longer and cleaner between oil changes the filter is extreamly important. Along with a bigger filter it is important to have a good filter. I love wix they are the best of the reasonably priced filters, but how are the more expensive filters (mobil 1, k&n ...) are they worth it because they cost twice as much? If so which is the best?
PS: Almost forgot to add how much i hate fram filters the only thing they have going for them is the gripper. Their filtration sux, they have half the surface area as a wix. Wix also makes the napa gold filters, for refrence.

Bigger than the 'PH8A' size is the Napa Gold (my preference) part number FIL1773. It's a quart or so larger than stock, original application being a fullsize Ford of sorts. On the 91+ HO engines with the horizontal mount you can get this filter on with plenty of room. Have been running this one for almost 5 years now. No issues. I haven't crossed it with any other brands except K&N (they didn't have one), mostly because I prefer the Napa ones. ;)

EDIT for specs:

Stock size HO filter (Napa Gold FIL1085):
Height (Inches): 3.79''
Height (mm): 96.27mm
O.D. (Inches): 3.66''
O.D. (mm): 92.96mm
Thread Size (inches): 3/4-16

Ford filter (Napa Gold FIL1773):
Height (Inches): 6.982''
Height (mm): 177.34mm
O.D. (Inches): 3.663''
O.D. (mm): 93.04mm
Thread Size (inches): 3/4-16

Last edited:
jeep1947 said:
Dont mean to thread jack, but i think this goes along the same lines. When using synthetic oils to run longer and cleaner between oil changes the filter is extreamly important. Along with a bigger filter it is important to have a good filter. I love wix they are the best of the reasonably priced filters, but how are the more expensive filters (mobil 1, k&n ...) are they worth it because they cost twice as much? If so which is the best?

I had problems with K&Ns comming loose. I'm very happy with Mobile1 filters though.

ECKSJAY said:
Bigger than the 'PH8A' size is the Napa Gold (my preference) part number FIL1773. It's a quart or so larger than stock, original application being a fullsize Ford of sorts. On the 91+ HO engines with the horizontal mount you can get this filter on with plenty of room. Have been running this one for almost 5 years now. No issues. I haven't crossed it with any other brands except K&N (they didn't have one), mostly because I prefer the Napa ones. ;)

I was going to move to the PH8A size but now I think Ill give this a shot. Also arent the NAPA series made by wix?

TORX

wow, the ford filter (Napa Gold FIL1773) is almost twice the size. and if it holds one extra quart we now have a 7 quart system running on synthetic mobile 1 with twice the filter capacity. That has to be good for at least 7,000 miles. they say you can go 15,000 on royal purple, but I wouldnt feel safe about that. I know at least the napa gold is made by wix, i am not sure about the rest.

I have gotten lots of usefull info from that site over the years. I did start to read the article a while ago, but thought it was just about converting the threads to metric. And with a link on that page I found that for cheaper filters ac delco and wix are the best two and on the high end it was mobile 1 on top. So that answered my questions.

honestly,

didn't read every reply, but... a mobil 301 bigger will fit, at least on my '98, no mods.

if you live on LI, NY, thru 3/2, they're 2/4/1 at AutoKarma. rain check is the norm...

Mike #300

Last edited:
mikeny59 said:
honestly,

didn't read every reply, but... a mobil 301 bigger will fit, at least on my '98, no mods.

if you live on LI, NY, thru 3/2, they're 2/4/1 at AutoKarma. rain check is the norm...

Mike #300

i have a 95 4.0L H.O. and u think the moble 1 #301 will just straight fit on????? THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!(same brand as well)

i'm just familiar w/my '98 4.0, where the filter is horizontal, parallel with the block, closed end facing rearward.

that gives you a couple of extra inches for the 301, same width, no problem (except needing some more oil):laugh3:

i have zero knowledge of older models, i think i've seen photos in which they were NOT oriented in the above position.

i'm sure other posters will give you the correct answer,

sorry

Mike #300

I am almost positive it was for 93 models they changed the placement. So from 93 on should be the same. Look at you filter mounting plate and just buy the filter, without getting the bigger filter dirty eyeball it and see if it looks like it will fit. If not, then return the filter and get the stock one.

Back