• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Hard Is It To Rebuild A 242t-case ?

Depends on what tools you have. I'm not absolutely sure what's necessary as I haven't done it yet. I did open mine up to reseal the case and install new seals, but once it was in the XJ I discovered it has a bad bearing.

The snap rings can be a real bear. The ones on my '00 242 have pointed ends, I think there must be some special pliers but I don't know what they are called. I used regular snap ring pliers and it was very difficult. If you have a late model case you will need a new oil slinger from the dealer. If you end up replacing bearings you may need a press, I'm not sure, if I need one I will use my hub-tamer.

Crown makes a kit, 242E-MASKIT or 242L-MASKIT depending on early or late model 242. If you google you will find several online places to buy the 242E-MASKIT, but I have yet to find the 242L-MASKIT online, which is the one I need. www.drivetrain.com has a kit but it's expensive. The chains can be found various places online as well.

just rebuilt my 231 last week. Nothing to it. Just be careful not to take the synchro apart without marking the relationship of the parts to each other. 1 spline off can give you fits!

Lisle has the snap ring pliers-- you want the biggest pair you can find, both pin type and flat-nose type.

For pushing bearings in and out-- that's what the BFH and an appropriate socket is for!

You probably can do it. Five years ago or so I installed an sye on my 242 not knowing in advance that the case had to be split and all this stuff had to be removed. I should have pulled the t/c, thank goodness the lift was installed already and I had barely ample room to maneuver.

A veteran from the forum gave me some advice via the phone and 95k later no problems. I do remember the beefy snap-ring dilemma, and i believe there's a 12 point 10mm (or 13mm) bolt on the very top that you'll need to get the correct socket for. He also advised using grease (Mobil 1) in my case to prevent the needles from falling out. Count 'em first.

That's all I can really remember, other than going nuts making sure the pump pick-up tube was in place.

If I remember anything else. I'll let you know.

Mike #300

nos/86- what year is your XJ? I have two NP 242 t cases from 88/89 taking up space in my garage. One needs a chain, and possibly bearings, the other seems to have good internals and a crack in the front half of the case. $100 takes both of them. I am in souuthern Indiana.
[email protected]

88xjwheeler said:
nos/86- what year is your XJ? I have two NP 242 t cases from 88/89 taking up space in my garage. One needs a chain, and possibly bearings, the other seems to have good internals and a crack in the front half of the case. $100 takes both of them. I am in souuthern Indiana.
[email protected]

you have a PM ... maybe we can do a little business.

Back