• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 cherokee auto trans shifts with stick

dhasel7018

NAXJA Forum User
myh 89 cherokee 6 cyl inline engine always races 1500rpm
and only shifts with the stick runs ok if you do that but what to do
hez

Having not experienced this personally I cann't say for sure, but it sounds like your trans computer isn't getting any power to it.

Your problem sounds a lot like what happens when you add the tweak to seperate the 1-2 position on the stick. you might look into this modification for a better description of it. I know there are several threads here about it.

Good Luck

I swear I read somewhere to check the fuse for the TPS....
or TCA...

How bout this... make sure you don't have any blown fuses to ensure that isn't the issue..

It could be 1 of 4 problems:

1. Sticking throttle linkage

2. Choke opened excessively at idle

3. Idle speed is incorrectly adjusted

4. Valve clearances incorrectly adjusted (V6 Engine)

If it is the throttle body sensor here's how to replace it.

1. Disconnect wires to battery (if u dont u could get shocked).

2. Unplug the TPS wire connector

3. Bend back the TPS lock tabs, if it has them. Remove the retaining screws, then detach the TPS from the throttle plate assembly.

To reinstall Throttle Sensor, just reverse the removal process.

I suggest that u have the new sensor adjusted by a mechanic or a Jeep dealer.

I tested and adjusted my TPS. Autozone can test them if you want to pull the TPS off and bring it in. Its free. Also you can do a search in the forum and get info on how to test and adjust it yourself if you own a DMM.

thanks guys it was my tps 10 bucks at junk yard for 2
for 1 worked runs great and shifts better, also had
to replace fuse under glove box
d-man

Back