• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad tps?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I'll be driving down the road and I'll go to accelerate more, the engine makes that kinda gargling sound like and old carbeurated engine and it feels like it got no power and its not upshifting or going into overdrive. I washed my jeep yesterday (including under the hood) and when I left my house this morning it would not get out of first gear and the check engine light was on, so I brought it back home and went in to get a different car, while I was inside the jeep stalled out. I started it up later and everything was fine.

The transmission is shifting through all the gears and always has except for that one time. I t has been feeling a little sluggish though, I have had to give it a little more go peddle the last couple months.

Im gonna go into work early tomorrow and hook it up to the scanner and test the tps. But I doubt it will find a trouble code seeing as the check engine light only came on that one time and is off now. What should I be checking if the tps checks out fine?

by the way its a 91 w/ a 4.0 and AW4.

thanks a lot
Dean

DDCxj said:
Lately I'll be driving down the road and I'll go to accelerate more, the engine makes that kinda gargling sound like and old carbeurated engine and it feels like it got no power and its not upshifting or going into overdrive. I washed my jeep yesterday (including under the hood) and when I left my house this morning it would not get out of first gear and the check engine light was on, so I brought it back home and went in to get a different car, while I was inside the jeep stalled out. I started it up later and everything was fine.

The transmission is shifting through all the gears and always has except for that one time. I t has been feeling a little sluggish though, I have had to give it a little more go peddle the last couple months.

Im gonna go into work early tomorrow and hook it up to the scanner and test the tps. But I doubt it will find a trouble code seeing as the check engine light only came on that one time and is off now. What should I be checking if the tps checks out fine?

by the way its a 91 w/ a 4.0 and AW4.

thanks a lot
Dean

Just check it out-of-circuit with an analog ohm meter and then in-circuit for volts. It's just a potentiometer that provides reference voltage for throttle position and if it get's a dead spot will cause dirveability issues. With a '91 you don't have adjustable TPS so it's either working smoothly or not.

Water under the hood is never good for those old injector connectors. Get one or two of those corroded and weak, you'll will swear you have bad plug wires.

Back