• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Control Arms in an '01?

Sparkman

NAXJA Forum User
My '01 with about 61k on the clock suffers from the really soft bushings that the factory put in it. When I hit a bad bump on the thruway it feels like I am going to lose control, and it's getting worse all the while. It's not the the point of DW yet, but it really sucks. I am starting to get some loud clunking from the front also. I drive 110 miles a day so I don't want any handling issues.

DC issued a TSB #02-003-03 related to front end shimmy which says to replace all four arms and the bushings, to the tune of about $250. I can get all four arms and the bushings for a '99 XJ from Quadratec for about $100. I think the '99 bushings should not suffer from the same problem that the '01s have.

Any reason I can't do this?

I know the '01 has a low-pinion D30 and the '99 has a high-pinion D30, does that make a difference?

Is there a reason that the '01 arms that DC recommends are better than the '99 arms from Quadratec?

I plan on changing the arms and bushings, new upcountry springs and shocks on all fours, a new steering stabilizer, and some 30x9.5s at the same time. Anything else that might be loose that I should consider replacing?

Thanks,
Cory

Thanks. I checked the trackbar about 10k-15k ago and it seemed fine. I will check it again. What's the best way to check it? I let the axle hang and wiggled on everything, nothing seemed loose.

I can pull it in the shop tonight and take a look.

be sure the hole that the track bar mounts to is not enlongated. That will sure cause it. the lower control arms are the same. I have a 91, and my
son has a 01 and they are the same on ours. Tires will cause the problem with wobble also. If you get tires, get good ones. I have went the cheap route and it's not worth it.
O

bigo said:
the lower control arms are the same. I have a 91, and my
son has a 01 and they are the same on ours. Tires will cause the problem with wobble also. If you get tires, get good ones. I have went the cheap route and it's not worth it.
O

Are the upper arms the same also?

I hope to have enough money to get the Dueler revos.

Sparkman said:
Thanks. I checked the trackbar about 10k-15k ago and it seemed fine. I will check it again. What's the best way to check it? I let the axle hang and wiggled on everything, nothing seemed loose.

I can pull it in the shop tonight and take a look.

park on a hard surface and have someone turn the wheel back and forth a little while watching the links and mountplate for movement. If you don't see anything have your friend turn the wheel slowly while holding the ball joint to feel for slippage and binding. PS- TURN THE ENGINE OFF FOR THE SECOND PART (fingers work best when left on the hand).

Everything looks good from what I can tell. I didn't have an assistant (wife uncooperative) to turn the wheel so I didn't get a chance to try that. I will take another look this weekend if one of my friends comes over.

What I am certain of after taking a close look is that the stock shocks and rear springs are totally shot. I have about 1" of sag in the back. The front control arm bushings look good, but these have often been blamed for the shimmy in the front end of the '01's.

Sparkman said:
I didn't have an assistant (wife uncooperative) to turn the wheel so I didn't get a chance to try that.

Get a new wife, now.
Without someone turning the wheel on pavement and you watching the linkage, you will likely NEVER find your problem.
Replacing parts because your symptoms match some DC recall is just plain stupid.
There are more than enough resources on this board, so use them and fix your junk.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Get a new wife, now.
Without someone turning the wheel on pavement and you watching the linkage, you will likely NEVER find your problem.
Replacing parts because your symptoms match some DC recall is just plain stupid.
There are more than enough resources on this board, so use them and fix your junk.
HTH.

X2

bgcntry72 said:
Get a new wife, now.

It would be cheaper to buy a new Jeep.

bgcntry72 said:

I understand, hopefully this weekend I will have some help. I have a friends engine on the stand in my shop and he should be swinging by with some parts for it.

bgcntry72 said:

Yes and no, I know of no way to tell if a shimmy at 70MPH is caused by a bushing that was too soft from the factory. If I eliminate all other possibilities and can use the cheaper '98 arms and bushings I may do just that.

bgcntry72 said:

Ummm, that's why I started this thread.

Back