• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 alignment problem

CBFLYER

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2001 XJ Sport. It is brand new condition with 26,000 one owner miles. Independent Jeep dealer went all over the vehicle and confirmed it's never been hit and miles are accurate. Problem is it pulls slightly to the right all the time. Dealer did four wheel alignment and said everything is within spec. but right caster is off 4 degrees. He says there is an offset ball joint available that would solve problem. Is this correct? Tires are brand new 30X9.5 Goodrich MTR's. It pulled with the original tires too.

CBFLYER said:
I just bought a 2001 XJ Sport. It is brand new condition with 26,000 one owner miles. Independent Jeep dealer went all over the vehicle and confirmed it's never been hit and miles are accurate. Problem is it pulls slightly to the right all the time. Dealer did four wheel alignment and said everything is within spec. but right caster is off 4 degrees. He says there is an offset ball joint available that would solve problem. Is this correct? Tires are brand new 30X9.5 Goodrich MTR's. It pulled with the original tires too.

If it is only a slight pull to the right, I think that is normal. Cars are supposed to pull slightly to the right if you let go of the steering wheel (in case you decide to take a nap on the highway). This is even more noticeable if the road has any slant to it at all.

My .02

CBFLYER said:

Same thing happened to me yesterday too. Went to go get an alignment because I just finished with my lift and everything. They told me I would need that offsetball to solve the problem. How much were you quoted for in price? Mine was 150 installed. I also have brand new tires, BFG 32x11.50 M/T's.

If your saying the right is off by 4° and the left is off by a similar amount, say 3°, I wouldn't worry about the offset ball joints, just adjust with castor shims. On the other hand , if you're saying there's a 4° variance between the left and right sides, that is way out of spec. Offset ball joints are only good for 1° or 2° at best. I would wonder if the welds at the axle tube junction to the pumpkin or outer C are broken loose.

What are the before/after alignment specs?

I was quoted $600.00 installed. It sounded a little high to me but I really didn't know what was involved. My problem is more of an annoyance then a serious pull. It just seems like I've always got left pressure on the wheel. I had a 2003 TJ before this with 31X10.50 Goodyear MTR's on it and it drove dead straight. Did a Jeep dealer quote $150.00? The dealer told me the caster was off 4 degrees from the left but that it was within manufacturer's specs. They could find nothing bent anywere and said it was a very solid vehicle. I thought a little toe in would fix it but apparantly it didn't. If I take it somewhere else to have the offset installed will they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks for your tip. I'll shop my tire store and see what they say. Your tires sound great. 30's were as big as I could go without a lift. Everyone said the MT's would be horrible on the road but they're not that bad. Everything fits too. Did you get the offset installed?

CBFLYER said:
Thanks for your tip. I'll shop my tire store and see what they say. Your tires sound great. 30's were as big as I could go without a lift. Everyone said the MT's would be horrible on the road but they're not that bad. Everything fits too. Did you get the offset installed?

No, I didn't. If I do end up getting it on I am going to be doing the work so it should be even cheaper then. But right now its no big deal to me. Just rotate the tires often and you should be okay. A

My stock Wrangler GSA's pulled to the right. The independent tire store suggested that I swap front tires. Really cut the pull to almost nothing. 1 year later, new MTR's pull right. Did a swap again and they are better. Remember the more aggressive tread and deeper tread depth over your old tires will tend to follow the irregularities and ruts in the road.

Back