• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on axles and gears

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I am starting to consider building/replacing my axles. I am looking for some input on my ideas of what to do. I am running about 4" of lift and 31" A/T's on my 2K XJ. I have complete stock running gear, D30 (low-pinion) and Chry 8.25, 3.55 gears (I think).

I am thinking of going with 4.10 gears (possibly 4.56) and lockers front & rear. I would like to get a selectable, but they are pricey.

Now my questions:

I am thinking of replacing the front with a high pinion D30 and putting a D44 in the rear?

What are the pros and cons of each? How much can I build my stock housings and is it worth it?

Whatever I do, it will be about 3 months, hopefully sooner, before I can start it.

Thanks,

Robert

my only tidbit...the 8.25" is probably plenty tough unless you're going up to 34inches or bigger. Also 4.10's are great, but 4.56's are better(except mileage:(

You just got the 31's and I think you might want to wait a little bit before you decide what to do with your axles.

Reason I'm saying wait is that IIRC you didn't get to do much summer wheeling yet. One season of summer wheeling will give you an idea of what kind of wheeling you like best and then you can build appropriately.

I know that 31's with 3.55's are not the best combination, but with an automatic transmission they are not that bad either, and in the meantime you can look into doing other things taht will need to be addressed sooner or later: like SYE for example.

Now to cover some answers to your question:
Rear 8.25, is not bad. Put 4.56's in it with a locker and you'll be pretty happy (but just in case look into getting a spare shaft: one shaft will cover both sides).
LP D30, if putting too much money into HP is polishing the turd, I don't know what building LPD30 is called. You can get an axle (HP D30) from a boneyard for about $150 (and if you look hard enough it will have 297 ujoints which means one set of spare axle shafts). Then you can build that up a bit.
Lockers... selectable would be nice, but here in CA, doesn't seem to be really that needed. Ask someoen to dfrive their rig with an automatic locker (like detroit) and see how it feels. When you're in 2H you won't feel a thing. When you're in 4wd, you will feel it on the trail, but more in the good way then bad. People keep talking about the locker pushing you around and having troubles turning, but unless lockers got way better, or I got lucky (along with a few of my friends), the only time I felt it push me around when I was in deep gooey mud (part of it might have been that I was in some dug out tracks as well).
Anyways, HTH

Thanks John & Remi.

Remi - You are right, I have not wheeled a lot yet. THe only reason I mentioned possibly larger wheels is for future (way off) plans. I figured if I am going to do axle/gear work, to do it for the possibility of larger tires.

I will be getting the SYE within the next month or so. Not sure what to do about that yet either. I am wanting to add a full spring kit in the rear, replacing my AAL. Not sure how that will affect the height and length of drive shaft.

Once I get that done, then I will do the SYE.

Thanks again,

RP

If your 00 has ABS you will have to disable it to run a D44 like I did. The 8.25 will be fine for what you have. Get a lunch box locker for the rear and call it a day. After a few trips out you will see if you need a front locker. Here in the Southeast dual lockers are a must in most cases. The dry Southwest will be a lot easier to wheel with just the rear.

shelbyluvv said:
If your 00 has ABS you will have to disable it to run a D44 like I did. The 8.25 will be fine for what you have. Get a lunch box locker for the rear and call it a day. After a few trips out you will see if you need a front locker. Here in the Southeast dual lockers are a must in most cases. The dry Southwest will be a lot easier to wheel with just the rear.
hint: 8.25 means no abs :D

Kejtar said:
hint: 8.25 means no abs :D
I did not even think about that, I just saw the 2K XJ and went to typing and even wrote 8.25, thanks.

shelbyluvv said:

Thanks Shelbyluvv. Where abouts are you in GA? I am from Gainesville (Hall County). Used to go mudd boggin and wheelin in the Blueridge Mtns. My brother had a big 86 Toy with 35's (back in the late 80's).

Thanks,

Robert

I am down in Albany at the Marine base. I will be in 29 Palms in late June. I will be wheelin with ya'll soon!

Back