• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's "cupping" regarding tires?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to find a front end droning/whining sound and decided to rotate the tires to eliminate the tires as the problem. The guy at Goodyear mentioned the front tires are "cupped". I haven't heard this description before but I could see the wear was a touch uneven.

What causes "cupping". The guy was really vague said it could be anything from shocks to springs to suspension and steering components. I will note that every time I go to this one Goodyear they won't let me leave until I buy something....whether I need it or not. So I'm a little suspect.

Also I will say at times I get lazy about proper tire pressure, it could be because lack of maintaince on my part.

Also after the rotation I still have the droning/whining sound coming from the front passenger side.

Johnny V said:
I've been trying to find a front end droning/whining sound and decided to rotate the tires to eliminate the tires as the problem. The guy at Goodyear mentioned the front tires are "cupped". I haven't heard this description before but I could see the wear was a touch uneven.

What causes "cupping". The guy was really vague said it could be anything from shocks to springs to suspension and steering components. I will note that every time I go to this one Goodyear they won't let me leave until I buy something....whether I need it or not. So I'm a little suspect.

Also I will say at times I get lazy about proper tire pressure, it could be because lack of maintaince on my part.

Also after the rotation I still have the droning/whining sound coming from the front passenger side.
Alot of things can cause cupping. Tire pressure, toe in, bad barrings, and Im sure some I am not thinking of. First thing I would check is your alignment though....Toe in first!....

Most of my serious cupping, turned out to be a combination of alignment and ball joints. Some of the minor cupping was the nature of the MT´s, and weak shocks.

oldmustangjunkie said:
What will a cupped tire look like?
usualy around the edges of the tire the tread is wore down in an up and down pattern around the tire... So like about every other lug on a MT style tire is worn down.

Cupping (also called dipping or scalloping) is another common tire wear problem. According to Goodyear (www.goodyear.com), cupping typically occurs on front tires, though rear tires can cup, too. It may be a sign that your vehicle's wheels are out of balance, or that suspension or steering system parts are worn out.

I found this for you.... ironic, the only serious cupping problem I've ever had on my XJ was with Goodyear tires. And that was when I had 60K miles on the XJ. Now at 160K miles, original steering components, bearings ... two lifts and three sets of BFG tires, I haven't had any cupping problems.

The Goodyear's that cupped terribly were 30x9.50 Wrangler AT's mounted on stock Laredo 15x7s... I figured it was a bad combo because my 31x10.50 BFG's wear excellent on the same OEM wheels.

Johnny V said:

Can I add to this question? I have some tires, not off my rig, that have cupping. Will it adversly effect my suspetion? Or just be an annoyance?

If most shops set your tire pressure to around 35 psi, but a BFG M/T has a max rating of 50 psi, what would be the best pressure to run it to avoid cupping? What would be the best all around pressure for gas milage and best wear for the tires?

Thanks guys
Jason

well - you see - when a man loves a woman...

Mostly its an annoyance .... they're noisy, but you may have problems getting them to balance correctly that could translate from a light to extreme wobble at certain speeds.

The key to avoid, or prolong cupping is to have them rotated and balanced every 5K... and run them at normal pressures like around 32-35 psi or so. Max pressure should only be used during max towing, hauling etc.

JMotorsprt said:
Can I add to this question? I have some tires, not off my rig, that have cupping. Will it adversly effect my suspetion? Or just be an annoyance?

If most shops set your tire pressure to around 35 psi, but a BFG M/T has a max rating of 50 psi, what would be the best pressure to run it to avoid cupping? What would be the best all around pressure for gas milage and best wear for the tires?

Thanks guys
Jason

Back