• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

truck bed coating

jeep1947

NAXJA Forum User
I recently found a 1 gal. can of duplicolor truck bed coading for half price at Mijiers $21. I bought that with the idea of taking up the carpeting and painting the cherokee, then putting the carpet back down. This is a dd and I thought this would be a good rust prevention and it would also help keep water out. I have no idea how hard it would be to do this or how long it will take or if I will just have to buy new carpeting. If anyone has done this before or just has some advice I am open to anything.
I found the same 1 gal paint at local auto parts store for $56!!
I love finding great deals.

Honestly, duplicolor is junk. If you are gonna take the time to do it use herculiner or have it sprayed. You'll regret the duplicolor, I did...

Try doing a search for stuff like "herculiner" "bed liner" or similar terms. There have already been a lot of really good write ups on this with pics and everything. Someone may be able to chime in with the links, but they should be easy to find by searching. HTH!

After searching the boards I found a couple of things that answered most of my questions. I am just going to post what I found for others. I found out that if you do not put the carpeting back in the interier will be louder and you will feel the outside temp more (if its hot out your legs will get hot). I also found out that all of the roll on bedliners can be very thin, unless you do many many coats. Of all the roll on's the duplicolor is the worst of the brand name, but it is still a step above the rattle can duplicolor or other can liner. Seeing as I got a good deal and I will be putting the carpet back on I am not worried too much about it flaking off because there will be little rubbing. I also read that someone used the duplicolor and put their carpet back in and it made a world of difference as far as keeping heat out or in depeding on the weather and also it was a heck of a lot quieter. I will post my findings when I do this in a couple of weeks.

do a search under my name, I just did this to my MJ, i like it for rust prevention, but the duplicolor is crap. You shouldn't have a problem because your carpet will be over it though. Anyway, prep takes a long time (I did my mj in about 15 hours alone from start to finish to give you an idea). That isn't a bad deal, I say run with it, especially if you are running carpet over it. Good luck!

Back