• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

linex/hurculiner floors

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
whats the best method to prep the xj floor for a spray/roll on liner when oyu have rust damage.

so far i have no holes but from the underside i can see rusting areas. i have only removed the rear carpet and i repaired some water damage rust with rustoleum and black paint but those surface rust spots came back. i am afraid that if i coat the floor it will continue to rust underneath the liner causing more problems.

any advise appreciated.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
whats the best method to prep the xj floor for a spray/roll on liner when oyu have rust damage.

so far i have no holes but from the underside i can see rusting areas. i have only removed the rear carpet and i repaired some water damage rust with rustoleum and black paint but those surface rust spots came back. i am afraid that if i coat the floor it will continue to rust underneath the liner causing more problems.

any advise appreciated.

try this stuff: http://www.interstateproducts.com/rustkiller.htm a friend at a local body shop suggested it for my pan rust.

The best method is to get it down to bare metel, especialy in the rusty areas. Over paint, you dont reallly have to take it off, but it is recomended. Also, you should scuff up the metel before you paint so it adhears better.

You can find rust converter at any auto parts store in the body section. It all does the same thing. It penetrates down into the rust and will prevent future corrosion by turning it into a rock-hard primer. A word of caution though; don't get this stuff on any paint you would like to keep pretty and shiny.

I did this on my mj, took about 15 hours start to finish. Get a flap disk for your grinder, it is the best thing I foud to get down to the bare metal. That is the only way you can be sure to get all of the rust off. I used duplicolor (it is crap), I would recommend herculiner. ANyway, here is the thread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46301

I would go down to Harbor freight and buy a gun to do undercoating and use it for the bedlined. Spraying is WAY easier than rolling and I think it turns out better. here is the gun. good luck
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43761c

I had some rust in the rear cargo area, little 1" wide hole 2" inches long kinda in the area of the wheel well and leafs. I patched with epoxy, i treated the surface rust with por15. The por products kick ass. I then painted the entire area and my rockers and rear bumper with Herculiner. I hate it, i really wish i hadn't used it. I prepared EXACTLY as described in the directions, i was methodical. Totally anal about it.

It peeled up in rear door/wheel well area when loading some crap in the back seat. I barely touched it. Plus it is really thin, and hard.

If i was going to do it again i would get a highquality spray in bedliner, ONE THAT CAN BE TOUCHED UP IF YOU CUT/SCRAPE IT. I would skip on the herculiner though. If you are going to put the carpet back in just treat with por15 and put the carpet back in.

the problem with "high quality" bedliners is they cost a fortune. It will probably cost at least $500 to do the interior with a product like line-x or rhino liner, most people are on a tight budget (I know I was when I was doing it)...

If you have access to an air compressor you can rent a self recovering sandblaster for areas like that, it gets into any contours but doesn't recover %100 of the media and you can blow what little is left out of the truck. I planed on having my mj interior done by rhino/line-x/ vortex, and everyone I called wanted over $400 if I stripped the interior. I tried a test patch of 5 coats of duplicolor rattlecan liner and it's not heavy enough so I'm going to try the Herculiner roll on stuff in hopes of getting a thicker layer.

I Herculined 3 XJs and 3 YJs and the stuff is very easy to work with, cheap, and looks good and is very durable. You can get it at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Wal Mart, etc etc. It costs about $80 a gallon. I would suggest sticking with black as the red or grey might fade. Linex is very nice as well, but expensive. Easily costing $500-600 or more. If you do decide to go with LineX, prep as much as you can and take out yours seats so all the LineX worker has to do is spray it, this should save a good amount of $. I like bedliners so much and got such a good deal on Durabak smooth bright red ($50/gallon) that I rolled my exterior. I still have about 1/8 gallon left for touch ups. It turned out good, it wasn't easy and it would look a lot better spraying it, but my clear coat/paint was toast anyways and this is just my wheeler so what the heck. :laugh3:
Troy

Big Red said:
I Herculined 3 XJs and 3 YJs and the stuff is very easy to work with, cheap, and looks good and is very durable. You can get it at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Wal Mart, etc etc. It costs about $80 a gallon. I would suggest sticking with black as the red or grey might fade. Linex is very nice as well, but expensive. Easily costing $500-600 or more. If you do decide to go with LineX, prep as much as you can and take out yours seats so all the LineX worker has to do is spray it, this should save a good amount of $. I like bedliners so much and got such a good deal on Durabak smooth bright red ($50/gallon) that I rolled my exterior. I still have about 1/8 gallon left for touch ups. It turned out good, it wasn't easy and it would look a lot better spraying it, but my clear coat/paint was toast anyways and this is just my wheeler so what the heck. :laugh3:
Troy
hey big red, you have any pictures of it? I have contemplated doing this, but chickened out...post em up!

I Herced the outside of my CJ5 that I am going to be building up. Bid Red, how have you kept the Herculiner from drying up? I had about 1/4 of a gallon left and it is now dry cause it was exposed to air. Ill grab some pics if you guys want. It will deff. make people ask what is on the Jeep. I know I get questions from everyone.

CindysBday004.jpg

CindysBday003.jpg

CindysBday002.jpg

CindysBday001.jpg

Needs a wash and stuff, but you can see the texture. It is very ruff, and you will scrape your hand on it if you rub it. In retrospect I dont think I would do the outside. It just cost to much for a touch up paint. I would rattle can it first before I would beline it.

When any of you that have done this prepped for it, what did you wipe the surface down with, if anything? I can't remember if it was paint thinner or naptha that doesn't leave a residue (watch it come to me as soon as I post this :laugh3: ) Anyone else know?

You are suposed to wipe it down, but Im not sure what I used. It should say in the instructions that you get with the Herculiner what you should use. Yotaparts sounds right in what it was.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting Herculiner or a cheaper alternative since I'll be putting my carpet back in (for the most part). I had rust in the past that was painted over and is now returning, so I plan on taking it all down to bare metal and using the truck bed liner over some primer. I just want to make sure it will hold up well since I may make the front carpet removable (in for long drives to keep the noise down)

Are those the actual chemicals or brand names for something similar to what I listed? I have access to the paint thinner, naptha, and quite a few other cleaners and solvents.

Back