• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Cover supports

svaras

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought on ebay, a roll on cargo cover for my 1999 xj.
I do not have the supports for it.....
Any one have a pic about how the cover attaches to the sides ??
Any imputs, appreciate

It attaches to 4 tie downs (similiar to those on the cargo area floor). 2 are on the passenger side panel and the other 2 are on the spare tire cover. If you Jeep doesn't have the tie downs in place, you'll need to install them on the passenger side panel and also purchase a spare tire cover with the tie downs on it.

edit>>>

I found a pic of the passenger side tie downs.
xjcargocovertiedownsupper.jpg

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
It attaches to 4 tie downs (similiar to those on the cargo area floor). 2 are on the passenger side panel and the other 2 are on the spare tire cover. If you Jeep doesn't have the tie downs in place, you'll need to install them on the passenger side panel and also purchase a spare tire cover with the tie downs on it.

Thanks for the imput, but I think you are talking about the soft tipe. The one I bought is the roll on desing.

svaras said:
Thanks for the imput, but I think you are talking about the soft tipe. The one I bought is the roll on desing.
The retractable cargo covers won't work in the 97+ XJ's.
...or no one has tried to modify the mounts to work in a 97+. If you get it to work, let me know.
I've asked this question several times and haven't heard of the mod ever being done. If it does work, I'd like to put a retractable cover in mine.

JEEPZZ said:
The retractable cargo covers won't work in the 97+ XJ's.
...or no one has tried to modify the mounts to work in a 97+. If you get it to work, let me know.
I've asked this question several times and haven't heard of the mod ever being done. If it does work, I'd like to put a retractable cover in mine.
I already bought it :rattle: :rattle:
Well I guess now it MUST work.
I´ll keep you posted :hang:

svaras said:
Anyway, why the seller said it worked on his 98 xj ???

Here you can see a pic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=63690&item=7953131691&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
You were mis-led. I see it on ebay all the time.
The cargo cover pictured is for a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) not a standard Cherokee. The ZJ cargo cover does attach to the rear hatch unlike the older XJ covers that attached to mounts at the rear of the cargo area. Another clue is that he said it's from a 98 Laredo. The Laredo named was dropped from the XJ line up back in 93 but it did continue on the the ZJ line.
If I were you, I'd contact the seller about misrepresenting his auction and demand your money back for his error. He should reimburse you for the shipping both ways also. If he won't do anything about it, contact ebay and they will. Let me know how it goes.

JEEPZZ said:
You were mis-led. I see it on ebay all the time.
The cargo cover pictured is for a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) not a standard Cherokee. The ZJ cargo cover does attach to the rear hatch unlike the older XJ covers that attached to mounts at the rear of the cargo area. Another clue is that he said it's from a 98 Laredo. The Laredo named was dropped from the XJ line up back in 93 but it did continue on the the ZJ line.
If I were you, I'd contact the seller about misrepresenting his auction and demand your money back for his error. He should reimburse you for the shipping both ways also. If he won't do anything about it, contact ebay and they will. Let me know how it goes.

I see, thanks for the info. Since I´m from Chile, I think I´ll try to make it fit first.
This afternoon I´ll present the cover on the xj and see how it fits.
Do you know if the width of cargo area of the ZJ and XJ are similar ??

Re: Adapting ZJ Cargo Cover on a XJ

ok, I went over this yesterday.
I have half of my problem solved.
I disambled the entire ZJ roll on cover and cutted to make it fit on the 43" cargo width of the XJ (side to spare tire).
Now I need to desing some supports and I´m done.
I´ll upload pics later
SV

Last edited:
Back