• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift without compressors ? how

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
people are saying that they put their 4.5 coils with 2"spacers on WITHOUT coil spring compressors ???? how did you guys do this because ive tried it but that way i take the control arms off. then put the springs in, but then i cant get the control arms lined up so usually i just put the control arms FIRST then i put the Springs on with a compressor, but if you guys know an easier way to put the springs in without a compressor PLEASE let me know, plus i dont wanna spend that 30 to get the compressors thanks

generalleexj said:
people are saying that they put their 4.5 coils with 2"spacers on WITHOUT coil spring compressors ???? how did you guys do this because ive tried it but that way i take the control arms off. then put the springs in, but then i cant get the control arms lined up so usually i just put the control arms FIRST then i put the Springs on with a compressor, but if you guys know an easier way to put the springs in without a compressor PLEASE let me know, plus i dont wanna spend that 30 to get the compressors thanks

do you have stock arms or aftermarket (as in longer)? To R&R the coils I'd disconnect the shocks and the swaybar and then let the axle dangle on the end. Then with some carefull maneuvering I get the coils in. To remove it I have to ussually use a prybar to get it started.

Btw I got 4.5" RE coils and someplace around 1.5" (or is it 2... don't remember now) in spacers.

If this is just a money issue, check with some of the discount auto parts retailers. They usually have a "free" tool rental. Just give them a deposit and they will give it back when you return the tools.

I had to use compressors to get the 3" coils in mine. I have the stock LCAs and they were hitting the axle bracket and not allowing any more droop (this will get fixed when I get around to it). I could have unbolted them but it was easier to have someone take a 2 minute drive to Autozone for the free (after return) compressor rental.

Spring compressors are free. AutoZone, Advance, Checker, all have a tool loan program. You usually have to buy it, then get a refund when you return the tool.

As for the springs, I disconnected the shocks, raised the Jeep( fairly high), disconnected the springs, and lowered the axle. As I was replacing the LCAs and UCAs, I disconnetec those. That gave me plenty of room to install the new springs. Just the reversed the installation. Springs, control arms, shocks, and a new track bar. Took about 4 hours by my self.

As for the springs, I disconnected the shocks, raised the Jeep( fairly high), disconnected the springs, and lowered the axle. As I was replacing the LCAs and UCAs, I disconnetec those. That gave me plenty of room to install the new springs. Just the reversed the installation. Springs, control arms, shocks, and a new track bar. Took about 4 hours by my self.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm getting ready to put my front dif back in place and I'm wondering if you've got any secrets to getting the upper and lower control arms lined up with the attachment points on the dif.

Robert

If you go with the loan a tool compressor don't get the one that goes inside the coil....the bump stop and tower on xj's are too long for these compressors(unless you can find a real short one).I ended up using alot of height on the jack to let the axle droop as far as possible,then I used a big honkin' pry bar as stated above,to leverage the coil in.Xj wheelie;Man handle it!!The use of socket extensions or large drift pins aid in lining up the holes.

Last edited:
XJWheelie said:
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm getting ready to put my front dif back in place and I'm wondering if you've got any secrets to getting the upper and lower control arms lined up with the attachment points on the dif.

Robert

bolt them in place, put springs in, use floorjack / pipe wrench to rotate and adjust control arms...
http://www.opiebennett.com/upperdrrveshaft.htm

You want to use a strut compressor instead of the spring compressor. The strut compressor comes as a pair and mount to the outside of the spring. Use the safety clips and be careful. You shouldn't have to compress them that far to easily remove and replace them. I use Kragen and they charge you retail price (around $50) with a full refund for two days of use, each day after is $6 a day. Captain Ron helped me out the last time and all I had to do was disco my sway bar. I have to say having a forklift around sure is handy... :lecture:

HTH

Brian T.

Take off the trackbar, and take off one upper and one lower control arm. Then install the aftermarket arms in place of teh ones you took off. What this will do is allow the axle enough flex to put the springs in as long as you have someone to lift up on one side of the axle and push down on the other all while you put the springs in(3 person minimum). Then what you do is put one of the other control arms on, then the last one. You will have some FUNKY pinion angles at times(do to the upper arms being shorter than the lowers), but it should work out. We just did this to my buddies rubicon the other day, with springs that gave him in the 6-7 lift inch range. so 4.5 plus spacer should work also!

I undid the shocks and trac bar, left the axle droop. Then I reached in thru the coils with a small pipe wrench and unscrewed the bump stop. Pull out coil and reinstall new on and thread bump stop back in.

Yeah, I left that out, obviously, you'll need to undo the shocks(youll prob be replacing those also) Put the shocks in the lower mount at this time, unless you are good at compressing them and quickly putting them into place. Also be careful about the brake lines, but if you do the RE kit, it comes with new lines, if you do that at the same time, itll help even more.

Back