• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5 with no vibes !

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
alright well i had a friend that had a 89 jeep Cherokee laredo with a 6.5 inch lift on 33's with NO vibrations or anything with only a transfer case drop. i am about to put the exact same lift off his jeep on to mine with the same transfer case drop, becaue he wrecked his. my jeep is a 89 jeep cherokee pioneer, what are the chances of me having NO vibes just as he did. everything on our jeeps are the same other than some different interior colors.

your chances of having NO vibes w/ a tcase drop and 6.5" is very slim regardless of the year, your friend must have had that rare xj that doesnt vibe like most or he had vibes that werent bad enough to really notice, just suck it up and get an sye

I'm curious to see what happens to the rear shaft as you flex it up...... and how long does it take for you to loose it.
Vibes is only one issue that you have to deal with when lifting. Length of the shaft, spline engagement and loosing the shaft as you overextend yourself is another.

He's a lucky man indeed! With 5" of lift my u-joints in the driveshaft were binding.

Robert

I got about 6.5" with a t-case drop and i have no vibes either and i run 33's. Its also my daily driver. I dont feel a thing on the highway and i usually cruise around 75.

i have 8" with no vibes on an 85 cherokee 2dr with only a tcase drop of 1" but my whole drive line is different and i have my rear 9" turned to reduce the angle which is at 0*

I also have a 2000 with 6.5" of lift with t-case drop and got no vibes at all. (recently installed hack 'n' tap and driveshaft anyway) I considered myself lucky.

i'll second the first part for sure, damn interior

If you get vibes with just the t-case drop try shiming the axle. Dont shim to much and starve the pinion berings for oil though and eventualy just get a sye.

i ran 6.5 with just a YJ yoke no vibes for quite some time. A 5-speed gives you a little more length to work with than an auto. My pinion/case were parallel and my driveshaft was sitting at a ok angle. After i trashed my driveshaft on a rock i went ahead and did the sye anyway.

it can be done :lecture:

gorp said:
87 XJ with 6.5 lift and no vibs. Long arms,sye,t case drop, 33s. Its all good.

88 XJ with 7" lift, t-case drop and no vibes...

Until I punched the gas uphill out of a turn...

BANG!!!

Took out the rear half of the t-case...

HD-SYE and problem solved...

it's all about the angle of the dangle

:D

Moral of the story: It may or may not "vibe" for ya, you'll find out either way

Back