• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do they go????

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
So I was messin with my radio in more depth tonight (I unplugged the battery this time.....smart move), and I was able to pull out another adaptor that was stuffed behind the vent controls. My aftermarket radio that is currently in there WAS installed with a kit.....which makes my life much easier. But here's the thing, Where do all those wires go once they run back behind the dash? I'd really like to know where they go. I broke down and picked up a Haynes Repair Manual tonight for like $15 from Autozone, just so I would have atleast something to go by when it comes time for serious repairs.

I also think I have found the source of my death wobble. I had my old man take a look at it tonight, cause he knows a crap load more than I do. He took off a part of the steering system......can't quite think of the name right off the top of my head, my brain has shut down for the night. I almost want to say steering stabalizer. It pretty much acts as a "shock" for the steering system, and when gone bad, it will make my steering wheel continue to wobble after hitting a rail road track or a bump in the road. Hopefully somebody will chime in with the correct part name, and if this might solve my problem. I can probably get a good deal from my buddy who works at Napa and save a little money.

The words 'Haynes or Chiltons repair manual' and 'serious repairs' do not belong in the same paragraph or conversation unless the word 'sucks' is in there somewhere. You want to know where the wires go, color codes and pin outs ? then break down and get a factory service manual, it will have it in detail. I got mine for my 98 the day I picked it up. :laugh3:
As for the death wobble, the steering stablizer has some dampning effect but it covers up more then it should. Keep looking, you can replace it but like I said it will only cover up the real problem. I drove with a broken one for a few weeks and never really noticed till I was greasing my fittings and noticed all this oil all over my front skid plate. Ordered a Rancho and its been on there ever since.

RichP said:
The words 'Haynes or Chiltons repair manual' and 'serious repairs' do not belong in the same paragraph or conversation unless the word 'sucks' is in there somewhere. You want to know where the wires go, color codes and pin outs ? then break down and get a factory service manual, it will have it in detail. I got mine for my 98 the day I picked it up. :laugh3:
As for the death wobble, the steering stablizer has some dampning effect but it covers up more then it should. Keep looking, you can replace it but like I said it will only cover up the real problem. I drove with a broken one for a few weeks and never really noticed till I was greasing my fittings and noticed all this oil all over my front skid plate. Ordered a Rancho and its been on there ever since.

LOL! Figured somebody would say something about that. But I don't have the $100 to spend on the manual. And a $15 el cheapo manual is better than nothing. I am looking at a Rancho as well, if my buddy at Napa can hook me up with a deal.

$15 for an el`cheapo manual.

when you get tired of reading the words "beyond the scope of the home mechanic,see an authorized service tech"...and your reading about putting a tire back on....you realize how el`cheapo it really is. I burned my haynes-it wasent fit for use as toilet paper in my opinion...and bought a chiltons. it go`s much further in depth....but not nearly far enough for the serious jeep person. Ive never needed a service edition...but I wish I had one sometimes.

where do the wires go? well, ya got 4 speakers- theres 8 of them wires right there. One to the power +12volts, one to a switched source +12 volts(or less). one ground or more, one antenna turn on, and probably one amp turn on. Maybe a single wire input for dimmer control--If youve got a quicky connect that wires your new radio to the old plug harness, theres probably a few extra wires- thats common, quicky plugs get made in quicky factorys that fit many vehicles.
Once that wire harness go`s behind the nolex/wire loom covering, all bets are off- those wires go everywhere and anywhere their needed. You`ll need a service manual to see exactly where they are, or a simple diagram to show where they are positioned in relation to other wires...and trace.

The majority of those wires go down near the passengers right foot before breaking off for parts unknown - I still need to figure out what is holding them up there as I'd like to relocate my radio completely...didn't find the section in my 96 FSM describing that exact procedure (yet)

Anybody know where I might find a decent wiring diagram online? I know there's one in the back of the repair book I have, but it doesn't go as in depth as I would like.

Trying to learn more about my Jeep :)

Besides, If I get pissed off at this book and it's still in good shape, I can always go back and return it. I asked them if I could do that last night and they told me as long as it's not all nasty.

Ed in North Ga. said:
where do the wires go? well, ya got 4 speakers- theres 8 of them wires right there. One to the power +12volts, one to a switched source +12 volts(or less). one ground or more, one antenna turn on, and probably one amp turn on. Maybe a single wire input for dimmer control--If youve got a quicky connect that wires your new radio to the old plug harness, theres probably a few extra wires- thats common, quicky plugs get made in quicky factorys that fit many vehicles.

This should tell you enough to trace the wires. The Haynes manual is the best IMO if you don't have any idea what you're doing, because they give step-by-step, lots of pictures, and it's indexed well. I also have a Chilton's that I refer to to get a little more depth than the Haynes gives, but the organization of it isn't as good. I then have parts of the FSM in .pdf format because it's not worth it to me to pay $100 for it. The Haynes is useful though, I wouldn't burn it ;). If you search here or on JU you might find somebody selling the FSM on CD for cheap.

Back