• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size for mudding!

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
i know tire fitment comes into play alot when it comes into flexing and crawling.

but when it comes to mudding where flexing will not be a big deal can i fit a larger tire with less lift

say 32x11.50 with 3.5in lift.

let me know guys??

this is mainly a dd

cassio said:
wheres the site

does it require some fender hacking?

yeah i think it requires some pretty major fender hacking and some decent sized bumpstops. I dont think the fenders need to be cut past the welds though. I cant think of the site off the top of my head.

I had rustys 3" coils up front and dakota rear packs. I ended up trimming the crap out fenders and using a hockey puck up front for bumpstops...
DCP02584.JPG

AARON

i ran 32" on my 84 w/ 3" i cut about 1.5" out. i still had some room to flex too.
i also angled my front bumper ________
\_______/
kinda like that!

Lore5 said:
What size tire are you running?

I forgot to add that thoes are 32x11.50s on 15x8 steel wheels with 4" back spacing. There is room for 33s but I would need to adjust the front bump stops a little.

AARON

cassio said:
say 32x11.50 with 3.5in lift.

I ran 225/75R16 (Big O Bigfoot A/Ts) in the local mudpits on my stock '01 Sport and never had any problem. YMMV depending on what your local pits are like, but I can tell you this much: Azusa Canyon gets some *deep* ruts from fullsize trucks running through there.

Yes, I got stuck. No, this likely wasn't down to tires as both times I high-centered the axles in a rut.

No comment on the lift, since I don't know your conditions. Not that I'm against it, I just can't advise.

this is mainly a dd

If it's mainly a DD, you probably want something with decent treadwear to save having to buy a new set of tires every six to eight months. Off-road tires are generally not long-lived on pavement.

I run 12.5/33 TSL's with 5" lift and much trimming....yes you need flex to run in mud....not as much in most cases as other offroading....but it is possible to max out the flex if yah find a deep hole....but then again "mudding" can be widely defined...one guy's mudding is spinning donuts in a wet field....my kind of mudding is going thru the hole where the full size rig with 38's just got stuck in...3,000 lb XJ on 12.5's versus 6,600 lb Fullsize on 15's....XJ wins!

jeeppowermj said:
Are those tj flares?

Yes, thoes are TJ flares. I didnt have the rears on yet in the above picture.

AARON

If you go with 31's instead of 33's you can possibly avoid a gear change....which can be pricy. I live in SW Louisiana so there isn't any rock crawling here, mainly mud. Started with 33's now 31's.

Back