• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All you 9" people...

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
All you peoples who are running a 9" in the rear, how did you handle the axles. Did you run 5x5.5 bolt pattern or did you go to custom axles with 5x4.5 . If you went new axles ,where were they from?
Thanx Digger

i got a custome 9" from Currie
i kept the 5 on 4.5 just because i didn't want to change my wheels. :)
i know the whole issue with 5 on 5.5 being stronger and all, but thats a small issue within the big picture of a build up.
i also got a high pinion 44 for the front and to keep my costs down by retaining my D30 outers, again a striegth issue but i'm also running the spicer outer with x760 ujoints.

Warthog said:
i got a custome 9" from Currie ...
i also got a high pinion 44 for the front and to keep my costs down by retaining my D30 outers ...

just curious, but how much did you pay? if you don't mind.

thx

Yep CW is right. I have one that is about 60" (cherokee width), with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 28 spline shafts and a third member with 4.10 gears stock and stuffed with a mini spool. My brother was going to use it in his cherokee to upgrade his dana 35 and decided against it and now it is sitting there in his shed.---------Kyle

Fuel90 said:
just curious, but how much did you pay? if you don't mind.

thx

front high pinion d44 with full detroit, 4.88, 30 spline inners, 760 ujoints and all mounting hardware......no outers but new ball joints......was $2200
rear high pinion 9 with full detroit, 4.86, 35 spline chromos, 1350 ujoint.....stayed with drum brakes to keep the cost down......was $2200ish.

didn't pay shipping......just made the drive out and back

and for around $5000 i had to ask to get my t-shirt for free!

I went with 5 x 5.5...Wheels are cheap, forget the fancy bling bling aluminum wheels and get a black rockcrawler which you can beadlock at a later date if you need too.

I went with 5x5.5 bolt pattern a spool and 31 spline axles to match my HP 44 front.

You really need to let us know what front axle you want to run. A front d44 is easy to go to 6 lug 5 on 5.5 or 8 lug depending on what outers you use. With the nine in the factory bolt patterns were 5 on 4.5 with the 28 spline, 5 on 5.5 with 31 spline, and 8 lug with the 35 spline. The 28 spline axles will be the closest in width to a d30, or waggy 44 but are weaker than the wider half ton and 3/4 ton axles.

I have never seen a 8 lug 35 spline 9in, what were they in.

xj8_8 said:
I have never seen a 8 lug 35 spline 9in, what were they in.

Ditto ;)

I have 35 spline 9" using 14B FF outers, Strange 3rd and custom dutchman shafts. I have never seen the 9" in 8 lug. 8 lug is usually reserved for 1 ton and 1 ton in a ford isn't a 9". But I'd love to see a piece of trivia befor I go to bed

It is also relatively cheap and simple to have your drums and shafts redrilled to the 5x4.5" pattern. That way you can run either pattern if you decide to upgrade the front later. Any machine shop could redrill them for you.

I don't think I've ever seen a 35 spline 9 inch from the factory at all. 35 spline 9's were something the drag racers came up with using an aftermarket 3rd member and D60 shafts.

Dan Turner said:
I don't think I've ever seen a 35 spline 9 inch from the factory at all. 35 spline 9's were something the drag racers came up with using an aftermarket 3rd member and D60 shafts.
I've also never seen a 9 inch in a 3/4 ton. I think Ford used D60s in their 3/4 tons exclusively. At least in the 9 inch years that is. They started using the Sterling in later years.

As far as I know you cannot get an 8 lug 9 inch from anyone.

And Danno is right; there is no such thing as a factory 35 spline 9 inch.
Allegedly ford did use a 3.250" bearing Nodular iron case on some big block muscle cars in the late 60s - but this might as well be urban legend for us. You're never going to find one. And the shafts were 31 spline anyway.

In order to get a 35 spline 9 inch shaft, you need an aftermarket case w/ the 3.250" main bearings. All Ford stuff, whether 28 spline or 31 is 3.0625". This is the carrier bearing size and is no relation to the "Big Bearing" or "Small Bearing" outer wheel bearing sizes.

As to which bolt pattern to reccomend....
The answer is determined 100% by what you intend to do with your front axle.
If you're sticking with a no lock-out hub'd 30 - stick with 5 on 4.5".
Converting the 30 to 5 on 5.5" or going D44 front - match the rear.

Warthog said:
i got a custome 9" from Currie
i kept the 5 on 4.5 just because i didn't want to change my wheels. :)

Same here. I wasn't ready to change the front due to $$$. If you go this route, I would hve the axels drilled for both 4.5 & 5.5, that way if you want to change the front, you just need to change the wheels. Currie will be pretty $$$. I bought mine about 7 years ago, & it was expensive back then.

Rob

You do need to have the big bearing ends on the housing to run the 35 spline shafts along with the 3.25 third member. the full size truck axles should have the large bearings.
C-ROK said:
I've also never seen a 9 inch in a 3/4 ton. I think Ford used D60s in their 3/4 tons exclusively. At least in the 9 inch years that is. They started using the Sterling in later years.

As far as I know you cannot get an 8 lug 9 inch from anyone.

And Danno is right; there is no such thing as a factory 35 spline 9 inch.
Allegedly ford did use a 3.250" bearing Nodular iron case on some big block muscle cars in the late 60s - but this might as well be urban legend for us. You're never going to find one. And the shafts were 31 spline anyway.

In order to get a 35 spline 9 inch shaft, you need an aftermarket case w/ the 3.250" main bearings. All Ford stuff, whether 28 spline or 31 is 3.0625". This is the carrier bearing size and is no relation to the "Big Bearing" or "Small Bearing" outer wheel bearing sizes.

As to which bolt pattern to reccomend....
The answer is determined 100% by what you intend to do with your front axle.
If you're sticking with a no lock-out hub'd 30 - stick with 5 on 4.5".
Converting the 30 to 5 on 5.5" or going D44 front - match the rear.

I know I've seen one for sure because I took it apart. I don't know enough about axles to know if it was aftermarket but it was a 9" with 35 spline axles and 8 lug pattern, in a late 70's 3/4 ton. I didn't check what gears it had. I thought I spotted at least one more but wasn't paying attention. If it was after market I really wish I would have grabbed it since they cost $86.

Edit: After researching this what I saw was definatley after market. Now I really wish I would have picked it up.
Here is a link with a ton of info on the 9"
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/02/nineinch/index.shtml

Last edited:
Back