• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Dana 44 rear (what models?)

Rocky

NAXJA Forum User
What year and model of Cherokee did the 44 show up in? I know that I've read that in 87 was a common year. Seem to remember seeing they were found in 88 & 89 also, just curious. I live in Canada, do the same years/models apply here north of the border? Thanks for any help.:canada:

ok so the 88 wagoneer would have one? is there a visual diffrence? there is a 88 wagoneer for 1500 obo down the road i have looked at. what are teh chances of it having the 44? if it doesi bet i could talk the owner down to 1000 cause it has been sitting there for like 4 months.

Could the Dana 44 be found for those model years in 2WD XJ ver. also?

The fact that an '87 Wagoneer had one is NOT conclusive proof that an '88 Wagoneer would have one. I disagree with BgCntry72 -- the D44 was used more in the '87, considerably less in the '88, and I have never seen a confirmed D44 from an '89 and I personally don't think Chrysler ever put one in an '89.

The D44 has the characteristic Dana trapezoidal diff cover shape, whereas the D35 has more of an oval diff cover.

Simply put, the d35 looks really really wimpy.
Whereas the D44 looks relatively badass.

I also have not seen one in an 89 at the PNP's around here, although a couple from 87's have been sighted. Thats going to be your best bet.

I thought 87 and 88 were equal, but I would gladly defer to Eagle on this one as I only have experience in newer XJ's. I was under the impression that they were around in early 89 but I could(probably) be mistaken. Apologies for any Bad Information.

I have a Wagoneer XJ '88 and have D44 front and Rear, but this is a standard in model made in Venezuela, in special for Bolivia but here at 4000 Mts need this realtions!!!!

Rodrigo

Rodrigo, we here in the United States are all very envious of you who got the Venezuelan XJs with the front Dana 44 axles. How much does it cost to ship an axle from Bolivia to Connecticut? :D

My 89 has a 35 but my old 87 had a 44 and full skid plates

So I search for an 87 then. Thanks for all the info, get the best help here I could imagine. Thanks guys.

The Dana 44 was the optional heavy duty axle in the Comanche from '87 through '92, so don't overlook MJs. However, the MJ is set up as spring under, so using an MJ axle involves cutting off spring perches shock mounts, and rewelding. On the other hand, I've been told that the MJ Dana 44 has heavier wall axle tubes, so it is theoretically a stronger unit than the XJ D44.

bgcntry72 said:
Shipping from Bolivia, talk about a deal breaker eh Eagle?

Sigh ...

Let a man dream, will ya? :rolleyes:

Though I cannot visually confirm it, my friends old 89 supposedly had a D44. He hit a telephone pole the other day trying to avoid a squirrel (thought it was a dog...long story), broke the core support, and was supposed to sell some parts to me, but instead sold it to another friend for him to beat on. That kid said it was a 44 in the rear, but I have never seen it. I am waiting for him to blow up the engine, then I am going to buy the 44 (if it is) as long as it is in good shape. If I get a chance to look at it though, I will let you know.

if that is a d44 thent he wagoneer that i am goingt obuy has on in the back. i stoped and took it for a real quick drive and can't wait to get some money from my family for graduation. it has ful power everything and is in really nice shape. getting it for 1000.

from what I have seen the XJ had the 44 available from 87 to 89 as part ofteh tow package and metric ton

The MJ had it available till 90 I believe in teh metric ton on 4x4 or 2x4

I believe certain branches of teh govt put them in even longer than that...I bought one out of a 90 XJ in BLM colors

Back